Can multiple JIRA instances use ONE Confluence?

Nick P December 5, 2017

Hi Atlassian Community!

I need some expert help! So I have two companies, let's say Company A and Company B with separate Atlassian instances (both with JIRA & Confluence).

Company A has already got a really fleshed out Confluence with 2 specific spaces dedicated to generic "How To" Docs and Internal Knowledge Docs that are supposed to be "Org Wide" (i.e. need it to be visible across Company A and Company B) while the rest of the spaces in A's confluence are company specific (client sensitive).

My aim is to make sure users in Company B can view these Company A Spaces without needing a Company A login.

Here's what I've tried:

• Making the individual spaces "Anonymous" view, essentially making the pages public to anyone with the page links. Not a viable solution.
  • Created an Atlassian login for Company A's instance for a Company B employee (meaning we're paying for 2 licenses) - again, not a viable solution.
  • Looked into Shared Teams however couldn't make full sense of it.

So now I turn it over to you guys. I REALLY don't want to have to copy & paste each doc to create a "Company B" version of everything, creating double work, but right now in the interest of not having confusing double licenses, or risking public visibility, my hands are tied.

Does anyone else have this set up to work?

Thank you :D

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

People from both companies are going to need their own accounts on your Confluence.  Both sets of people are users.

Nick P December 6, 2017

Ah that sucks, really not ideal. Thanks!

0 votes
Mike Rink
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2017

Hey @Nick P, is there a large amount of pages in Company A's Space? If it's a smaller amount, you might be able to use our app Comala Share It to create shareable links to pages in Space A that Company B users can utilize to see the content. This solution doesn't scale that well unfortunately, but it may be a stop-gap until you can find something better. Let me know if I can answer any questions about the app! 

Nick P December 6, 2017

Hey @Mike Rink - thanks for the response.

Yes company A has a lot of stuff already created. Don't really want to go down that road, would rather sort it out for a longer term, but appreciate the heads up.

We decided to move all cross-company docs out of Confluence unfortunately, it was easier to use other solutions vs. fighting with permissions or paying more with Atlassian which is a shame.

We will however keep team & project specific notes & docs in confluence to maximize the features between it and JIRA.

Mike Rink
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2017

Hey @Nick P, sorry we couldn't find a solution that would work, but thanks for the update! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events