Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I setup a forum in Confluence?

Morten Fredens December 3, 2012

Hi,

I'm completely new to Atlassian's software solutions. I'm currently evaluating a combination of Jira and Confluence for our business. Additionally, we would like to setup an internet/intranet support forum (should support setup of internal/external user privileges). Can I setup such a forum with Confluence or do Atlassian have an additional software solution for running forums?

Thanks in advance,

- Morten

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Selcuk Savas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

Hi Morten,

I have been investigatin Forum options for Confluence and the result is not promising.

I totally agree with your comments on Community Bubbles.

Unfortunately we had jumped on Confluence boat without proper investigation and we are kind of stuch with it. (for now)

As far as I know Jira became almost an industry standart.

I suggest you to look HigherLogic (http://www.higherlogic.com/Home/) which are great for professional/social networking.

It may the answer to your questions.

It is very flexible so eventhough you'd like to go with Jira without confluence they can figure out a way to connect two systems. (they may already have)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Selcuk

2 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

Community Bubbles is a free plugin which provide that functionality.

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

kindly have a look at this

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

i believe vbulletin can be modified to use your crowd or jira authenticator.

Morten Fredens December 3, 2012

Thank you for the quick response. So Atlassian is not offering their own natively integrated forum solution? I find this very strange considering they offer so many different software solutions. That could be is a deal breaker for us in regards to choosing a Jira + Confluence solution.

I am aware of Community Bubbles. To be honest, my first impressions aren't that positive. It has a 2/4 star rating, looks "amateurish" and I lack some documentation on the possibilities for setting up separate front-end views for internet/intranet access.

I am looking for a professional forum solution like IP.Board and vBulletin. We need 24/7 support, more than 300 concurrent user sessions, and full integration with our defect management and collaboration tools. I'm not sure if Community Bubbles can deliver that, but I'll give it a try.

Hsu Yao Chang August 2, 2016

Dear partners, 

But why after install community bubbles, it showed the message as shown as below:

license2.jpg

thank you.

Dalibor Selucky December 20, 2017

Hi,

I would say it said so due to a fact that bubbles community forums are no longer supported by JIRA, they are being archived now, sorry to tell you news, im searching for forums also.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

@Dalibor Selucky- I am sorry to have to be rude, but everything you've just said there is wrong.

1.  Bubbles was never a Jira function, it was for Confluence

2.  It was renamed to "Community forums" a few years ago (This is a good reason not to comment on 5 year old questions!  It is out of date)

3.  Community Forums is fully supported through to the latest version of Confluence (6.6 at the time I wrote this), see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adaptavist.confluence.forums/cloud/overview

Like # people like this
Dalibor Selucky December 21, 2017

Hello Nic,

thank you for correcting me, youre not being rude at all. 

1) I got slightly meshed all atlassian products altogether, thats why i perceive them as one, as we use confluence, jira, preprod and such.

2) Im glad some forums are still supported, as we are searching for one to have.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

Ah, I see.  Not sure what preprod is, but I can understand why the Atlassian stack is sometimes described incorrectly.

My sales guys would tell me off if I didn't suggest you have a trial of Community Forums :-)

Dalibor Selucky December 21, 2017

Thank you, actually im right now preparing documents for our JIRA customer desk and having a forum is one of features we want. I suggested 3 possibilities, one of them is Adaptavist indeed.

Yet we are searching for a forum for our customers also, to contribute, to ask questions and to talk about their issues there. And with current pricing, that would be very costly if all our customers had created an forum account to talk to us. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events