Can I link to a specific page in a pdf that I have attached to a page?

Lucas Cron June 7, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Display Files and Images

I have a manual in a pdf that I have attached to a page. I want to create a table of contents on the page with links to the specific pages in the manual. Is this possible? Any workarounds?

4 answers

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2017

Hello, all,

11 October 2019 Update

Both of the below feature requests are now closed. Please vote on CONFSERVER-54342 for the functionality to link to a specific page in PDF preview.

I have recently created a feature request for this, due to the last one being closed since there wasn't a lot of activity on it in terms of customer interest and votes.

Here's the feature:

Please vote on it to show your interest and comment with an example of your use case to best understand the need. You can all watch the issue in order to be updated on any progress.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Susan Lunn December 12, 2017

Hi Shannon -

I am getting an error that the issue can't be viewed when I click on the link in your message. Does the feature request still exist? It was posted less than 3 months ago.

I also have had a request to link to sections within the PDF from Confluence, and would like to see the feature you linked to.

Thanks,

Susan

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

Hi Susan,

I had recreated it from a previously closed feature request, but the new one has since been closed and the first one was reopened, so you can now vote from this link:

Let us know if you have trouble viewing that.

Regards,

Shannon

1 vote
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2016

View the attachment (not preview).  Scroll to the page you want to bookmark. Right click and select "Copy image address."  Use that URL when adding link to your page.  However, you will only get THAT page and won't have the ability to scroll to another page.

Best Practice - add your content to the page and not in an attachment.

Lucas Cron June 7, 2016

Thanks for the reply. The issue here arises when I have a about 40 pdf's of training documentation with a couple hundred pages each and adding all the content from each of them would be quite an undertaking. Any other suggestions for hosting this content?

0 votes
amarchan October 10, 2019

This is a feature r=that we would also like to see implemented. Please reconsider.

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2016

I have no problem displaying PDFs as links or thumbnails - I can even toggle between either way in the edit screen - refer my screen shots in this posting

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/38847023

You must have a bad file format or a problem in the configuration of your Confluence

Try another PDF file from another source?

Lucas Cron June 7, 2016

Right, I know about this functionality but I don't want to use it because I want to link a specific section in the PDF to someone. I have a bunch of PDFs and some of them are over a hundred pages long so I'm trying to make them easier to search through. Simply adding the PDF as an attachment and then previewing it wouldn't solve the problem because they would still have to scroll through all of the hundreds of pages to find what they're looking for.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2016

Oh - my misunderstanding

You can create hyperlinks within the PDF document so that clicking on a Table of Contents or Index in the PDF will take you to the page and paragraph in the PDF ... its really just part of the functionality of creating the PDF from the source Word document so that the "cross-reference" links in Word are maintained in the PDF

I don't know if you can then take those cross-reference links and embed them into a Confluence page ...

I like Andrea's solution as a manual process entry by entry ...very clever  smile

But it seems you basically on the Confluence page to generate a Table Of Contents or Index for a PDF document  simply by uploading the PDF ... I'd be interested in such a solution too

Lucas Cron June 8, 2016

Yeah the ultimate goal would be to simply upload a pdf and then it creates a table of contents which links to pages in the pdf. I am not sure if Confluence is the best tool for this, but then again I don't have any other ideas.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events