Can I categorize the labels differently than the current alphabetical categories?

Sandra Ghattas March 30, 2018

I find the "ALL Labels" page very confusing and was wondering if I can categorize them differently?

2 answers

0 votes
Minh Tran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2018

@Sandra Ghattas Can you share more about the scenario that you are trying to achieve?

Sandra Ghattas April 5, 2018

Sure, thanks in advance. Example in one of my spaces I upload notes of interviews done with companies. Each interview is tagged by: -Name of person who conducted the interview, - Emplooyee size of the company interviewed, industry of the interviewed company etc. I wanted to categorize them by these categories: Employee size, Job role, Interviewer. So it's in order and easier for someone new to look at all the tags and make sense out of the data. Example:

Industry: Dental, IT, Medical

Employee size: 1-5, 6-10, 10-15

Interviewer: MaryJ, AnnaM, JohnD

Currently its:

A-H: AnnaM, Dental

I-R: IT, JohnD, Medial

0-9: 1-5, 6-10, 10-15

0 votes
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

There are lots of macros that categorize labels such as related labels macro, labels list macro, recently used labels macro, and the popular labels macro.  

Since I don't know how you want to categorize them, I would suggest starting with these to see if they fit your needs.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/display-pages-with-label-macros-145102.html

Sandra Ghattas April 5, 2018

Thanks, I've elaborated on an example of what I mean below in Minh Tran's comment.

Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2018

This will take a bit of work depending on how many labels you have, but you could realistically create a page where you have headings for each category then use the labels list macro to exclude the labels that aren't related to that category. 

For example for industry you would have to exclude all the labels for employee size, interviewer, etc.

This will be a bit cumbersome as you add industries and interviewers into your label list as you'll have to go back to each macro and add the label you don't want to include.

Another option would be to create new labels for label such as industry-dental, industry-it, industry-medical, employee-size-1-5, employee size-6-10, etc.  Then using the labels list macro all the same category labels will be listed together still in alphabetical order.  This option would be be much less maintenance in the long run but isn't the "prettiest" solution.

In the end these are both tedious solutions, but should get the result you are looking for.

Sandra Ghattas April 6, 2018

Thank you Patrick. I Fully understand the second solution and I think it's a good solution. I'll have to get a better understanding (or try) that Macro of the first solution before I can tell if it's suitable for me or not. Either way, thank you for the suggestions

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events