Can Confluence be used to run a monetized blog?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

Is it possible to create a blog with monetized ads using Confluence?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

I've never run a monetized blog myself, but I assume the ads are given to you in some form of HTML or Javascript? If so, it's not possible on Confluence Cloud to embed a script like that, but it would be in Confluence Server. See Functional Differences in Confluence Cloud for more details on how it differs from Server.

Otherwise, if you have an affiliate link you could link to that using Confluence. 

If you have any other examples of ads besides the two that I just mentioned, please let me know and I can help see if there's a way to use that within your site.

Regards,

Shannon

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2019

Yeah, most likely it would be via some code block like HTML or Javascript. 

Crap.

I was hoping to use a Conf cloud starter license.

Oh well

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Robert,

Thank you for confirming. In that case, yes, it's not possible to embed code within Confluence natively.

I am aware of a few 3rd party add-ons that you could try: HTML Macro Add-ons for Confluence Cloud 

Have a look at those and see if any of them could help you!

Regards,

Shannon

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

Thanks Shannon,

I think I'll look into an alternative, since this would add additional cost, and I am looking to make money if possible :)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2019

Robert,

The only other thing I could think of is embed another web page in an iFrame using the iFrame Macro, and have your ads on that page. Otherwise, there is no way to include an ad within Confluence Cloud directly without the use of a 3rd party macro.

Regards,

Shannon

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2019

Thanks - I'll find another solution/provider.  I was hoping that I could use Confluence since I'm familiar with it, rather than having to learn a new system.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 30, 2019

Robert,

No problem at all. For your information, it is possible to make these sort of customizations for the Server versions of Confluence, but the Cloud version has blocked it for security reasons.

Let us know if we can help you with anything further!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events