Can Confluence Admin see ALL spaces, including ALL personal spaces?

Wade Burgess April 23, 2019

How can a Confluence Admin determine if there are personal Spaces that have permissions set in such a way that only the owner of the personal Space is able to view the space?

I helped someone create a personal Space and make it private, and now when I look at the Space Directory, the personal Space is NOT listed.

What if this person leaves my company? How would I ever archive or delete the personal Space if I cannot find it or see it, even if I know it is there?

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019

Are you a Confluence Administrator or a System Administrator? There is a difference between the two with Confluence Server. The below link describes the differences. Anyone in the confluence-administrators groups should be able to see all spaces and pages regardless of permissions or restrictions.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/global-permissions-overview-138709.html

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

I think this page could explain all differences - https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-admin-permission-levels-explained-604209420.html

Basically if you want to see all pages then by default you need to be in group - confluence-administrators . Then having a direct link you can always see that page even if it is having a restriction set.

This is what documentation says:

Members of this group can also see the content of all pages and spaces in the Confluence instance, regardless of space permissions.

0 votes

Being logged in as a Confluence Administrator solved all my issues. Thanks for the help.

Venkat Pragallapati May 28, 2019

I'm the administrator but still can't the the personal space created by user who has removed permissions for all user except him. How to track those personal spaces? 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

@Venkat Pragallapati Are you a System administrator?

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

@Wade Burgess ,

I just tested this with a test user in my environment. I can see the personal space of the test user as an admin. How did you make the personal space private? Removed every permissions except the one for the user himself?

Yes, the only permissions are set to the owner of the personal Space. This is how I figured a personal Space could be made private, not knowing that it would also be invisible to a Confluence Admin.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

But I think it is not invisible ;-)

Did you set a filter, e.g. showing just Site Spaces?

When I go to Space Directory, then Personal Spaces, it is not listed. 

Anh Nguyen February 9, 2021

Just got the same issue and had a solution.  I am using Confluence 7.5.0 Data Centre.

Must be a Confluence and/or System Administrator.  Select Spaces -> Space directory -> Personal Spaces  (left hand side)-> Select a personal space ->Select/click the i in the circle (right hand side of the selected personal space)->  Overview -> Delete Space. If you can't see Delete Space then -> Space tools (bottom left) -> Permissions -> Add your user-id and set permission -> back to Overview and delete.

Like crownbd likes this
Anh Nguyen February 9, 2021

I got the same issue and had a solution.  I am currently using Confluence 7.5.0.  You must be a Confluence/System administrator.  Select Spaces -> Space directory -> personal Spaces -> Select the i in the circle of a personal space you need -> Overview (menu) -> Delete Space.  Just in case your group admin right doesn't allow you to delete, then select permissions (menu) -> add your user-id -> Select All -> Save -> Overview (menu) -> Delete Space.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events