Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best organisational diagram/skills directory type solution in Confluence

Mark Nixon August 1, 2011

Hi Everyone,

We are looking at furthuring our confluence deployment by including an internal employee area.

We want to have a) an organisational diagram and b) an internal 'skills directory', where people can search for employees who may have a specific skill i.e. can speak French.

For the Org Diagram i suspect it will need to be done in Photoshop and updaded/reuploaded everytime it changes, and the only solution I can find for the skills directory is for everyone to have a personal space and tag thier relivant skills.... which isn't very elegant....

Is anyone else doing this and how are you doing it? Anybody know of a plugin that may help us out here?

Thanks for your help/ideas!

Mark

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Nixon August 4, 2011

To all those interested,

I stumbled accross a solution which may help us anyway: https://appfusions.com/display/EDIRC/Enterprise+Directory+and+Org+Chart+for+Confluence

Whilst it focuses more on the directory and organisational chart, we will also use Personal Spaces to list individuals skills/competancies - we have set a template for this in Confluence Admin -> Default Space Content.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same question.

Mark

Chris van Hasselt April 4, 2012

Mark - I'd be interested in learning more about what you've done, as this sounds exactly like a project I am working on. We are using the default people directory, and we've got a lot of issues that have been solved, others that haven't. Have you found any good docs on search, people search in particular? For instance, a basic question: Confluence uses Lucene for search, but is that the same search engine used for people search? If not, what is used?

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

For more info on this -

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/09/marketplace-monday-enterprise-directory-and-org-chart-for-confluence/

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqJ8AS60bds

Eval Licenses are available from AppFusions direct (info@appfusions.com) and this plugin is going through fast and active feature iteration these days, due to popularity. We just added image support.

0 votes
Mark Nixon April 16, 2012

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply.

We Didn't end up going for this, as it didnt integrate properly, was cost-prohibitive and also our organisational security policy restricted appfusions creating something custom-built for us.

I actually revisited this today, and we are simply going to have a page with Senior management (C-level and VP's) - with just a picture of them, and their name underneath. By clicking on this it links to their personal space. I will probably then have a list (simple table) of all people directly underneath them, linking again to thier personal space.

In the end, the complexity of any solution became too high - and at the end of the day we couldnt justfy the outlay vs benefit. In the end we will just get the poor student assistant to bash away at this for a few hours ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events