Automatic structure of pages in Confluence

Olivier Morin August 28, 2012

Hello,

I have a 900 pages Confluence space with a poor tree structure. I would like to generate an automatic structure in this space.

What does automatic mean? It means that pages are clustered in categories thanks to analysis of user's paths.

For example on one day the paths of ten users are exactly the same in the space. An automatic algorithm clusters the pages this path contains.

The pros : no webmaster.

Would anyone know any macro/plugin on Confluence which does that?

Thanks in advance

3 answers

2 votes
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

I might completely miss the mark for this one. Just want to see if you are looking for automatic tagging: http://poolparty.biz/products/poolparty-powertagging/

Can you elaborate what you mean by path?

Olivier Morin August 29, 2012

By user's path I wanted to refer to the series of pages a user consults on a given website. (ex: home page, childofhomepage1, childofchildofhomepage1...). I'd like to extract these webanalytics in order to cluster pages together and to suggest a structure for the site.

The more the structure fits typical user's preferences, the more the browsing will be easy and natural.

Automatic tagging seems rather good, but I've understood it suggests tags like abreviations of title words... I would say I'll not work for very technical content.

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2012

Thanks. That makes sense. However I don't think either Confluence usage tracking plugin or other analytics plugin keeps track of the paths you are looking for though.

1 vote
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 3, 2012

What do you mean by user's paths? If you mean the way that a user browses around the space, that would require analysis of the paths taken perhaps using sometime like Google Analytics or Mixpanel.

It would also require that you want to then restructure the paths into a tree (provided that the paths never cross).

This is likely possible, but I havent seen a plugin that automatically restructure a space based on web analytics.

One possible downsides to this:

The 10s of users could be stumbling around down in a very inefficient manner because of the way the content is written or linked together. Encouraging this inefficiency could waste your company more money than the possible saving from replacing your webmaster with an automated algorithm.

A better alternative would be to use web analytics reports to guide your own expert knowledge (or your webmaster's) of your own business and restructure the content using a combination of these factors.

Take a look at Mixpanel Flow and Google Analytics Visitor Flow.

1 vote
Matt
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2012

I think there is no macro or plugin which would handle this one for you.

However you may check out Atlassian CLI Tools from Bob Swift.

It is a superb tool for any bulk operations.

Here it is a website with example usage:

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CSOAP/Examples

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events