Attaching a file to a Confluence page causes a session expire message

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2017

Hi,

I'm using Confluence 6.2.2 and when I'm trying to attach a file to a page, either in edit mode or drag and drop the attachment on the page, I will get a session expired message (See pictures below).

When I close the upload window, I don't have to login again.

Note that the time that I've been logged in does not matter.

What do I need to change to fix this?

Thanks,

Rudy

session expires2.pngsession expires1.png

8 answers

1 vote
Bernardo Andreeti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Hello, guys.

This problem is usually caused by a bug in Synchrony, which we can check below:

I personally recommend the third workaround of renaming the session cookie and restarting Confluence to fix this issue.

Best regards,
Bernardo Andreeti

0 votes
yossi.glick
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 16, 2022

Hi Atlassian Team,

Having the same issue, I have tried the following:

- delete confluence cookies

- restart chrome

- restart PC

- delete all cookies

nothing helped.....

How to tail Confluence logs?

untitled.png

0 votes
John Mackoy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 15, 2018

I ran into a similar problem, however; my issue was caused by an external proxy that didn't support session persistence (due to a config problem).

This was an F5 LTM.  On the LTM I had to configure the virtualserver's "Default Persistence Profile" to "cookie" which causes the F5 to insert its own cookie into the HTTP header that tracks which node was in use for that session.

Mea culpa, didn't heed the warning in Atlassian's documentation which states, "Use a load balancer with session affinity and..."

Adding here for any others that encountered the same mistake, but aren't affected by the bug referenced in @Bernardo Andreeti's comment.

0 votes
Ratko November 22, 2017

After I update to 6.3.3 it was solved. So, good to know that new version is not good again :(

0 votes
Lilia
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 22, 2017

We just upgraded to 6.4.3 and we are seeing issues. If we edit a page and try to add a file we get the error. If we "Drag and drop to upload or browse for files" that attaches the files without error. Any update on this?

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2017

For now, we've surrendered. We've disabled collaborative editing. It has probably to do with proxy configurations. 

0 votes
Ratko August 24, 2017

Hi guys, I have same issue with Confluence. Upload of image or other file report same error:
"Your session has expired. You may need to re-submit the form or reload the page."
But when I try to insert/upload image on page comment, that works ok.

My version:  6.1.2

0 votes
Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Hi,

I'm a colleague of Rudy.

We have a workaround, which is disabling collaborative editing. The logs can be found here:

https://ufile.io/26nwm

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

Hi Bert,

Thank you for confirming that! Are you able to pinpoint what time you attempted this so I can go to the location in your logs? 

Can you confirm with us if you're running any proxy or firewall? 

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for your quick response. I tried to do some things this morning (2017-08-23) between 07.30 and 9.00.

Yes, we use a proxy with SSL certificate and we used the settings at page https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/using-apache-with-mod_proxy-173669.html

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2017

Hi Bert,

Thank you! We have a team looking into issues with Collaborative Editing so I've added the appropriate tag to this issue so they can step in and assist us.

One thing I did notice was this: 

javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: Host name 'pww.jira.philips.com' does not match the certificate subject provided by the peer (CN=www.jira.intra.lighting.com, OU=Lighting, O=Philips Lighting B.V., L=Eindhoven, ST=Noord-Brabant, C=NL)

It could prevent things from not working properly so you may want to look into that. In the meantime, we will continue to investigate via your logs.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2017

Hi Shannon, 

I've removed the external gadget entries which caused the javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException, but that has no effect on the problem. Do you have already any insight in what causes the upload problem?

Rudy

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2017

Thanks Rudy! I was just letting you know about that since when certs don't match the URL it does cause other problems so I wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

We've properly tagged the issue now so the team handling the Synchrony issues will be able to have a look at this.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2017

Hi Rudy,

To assist, can you please tail your Confluence logs, replicate the error, and send us the lines that occur when you do this?

Please also confirm your database type and version and confirm if the Server Base URL matches the URL that you use to access Confluence.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events