Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a user I see ?Unknown attachment

Karin Heijboer November 13, 2017

When I login as a user (no rights on editing pages) I miss some pictures. I see ? Unknown attachment

When I login as a user with rights to edit pages, I can see the missing attachments. I see the correct picture. If I check the attachments for this page, the picture is not in the list of attachments.

I am sure I never removed the attachment from this page. I can still see it as a user with edit rights. Why is the attachment missing? I can re-attach the picture, but maybe tomorrow it is gone again.

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2017

Hi Karin,

It sounds like the images were copied and pasted from a page that has restrictions or limited permissions.

When we copy+paste an attachment, the application will not re-upload the attachment, instead, it will simply show the attachment from the source space (thumbnail referencing the source space/page) so, if there is permission/restriction applied on that source page, it won't show the attachments in the page they were pasted, unless the user has access to the source space/page.

To avoid this issue, we don't recommend copy+paste images between restricted spaces/pages and instead, re-upload them to the new space/page.

This article shows how to check the storage format of the page to see if the images are in fact attached to another page: Some images do not display correctly in a Confluence page, but show 'Unknown Attachment' instead

Thanks,

Ann

Karin Heijboer November 13, 2017

Yesterday I did not correct this issue, but today when I check the same help page as the same simple user, I can see the picture. 
Also, I have created a template text with several pictures we use on most of our help pages. When creating a new page I use this template page. Sometimes when creating the new page, some pictures are missing. Sometimes the are lost later on. Most of the time they stay available.

I can understand missing permissions. I cannot understand that sometimes the same page is missing data, sometimes it spontaneously reappears. 

Like Volker Heubel likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events