As a user I see ?Unknown attachment

When I login as a user (no rights on editing pages) I miss some pictures. I see ? Unknown attachment

When I login as a user with rights to edit pages, I can see the missing attachments. I see the correct picture. If I check the attachments for this page, the picture is not in the list of attachments.

I am sure I never removed the attachment from this page. I can still see it as a user with edit rights. Why is the attachment missing? I can re-attach the picture, but maybe tomorrow it is gone again.

1 answer

0 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Nov 13, 2017

Hi Karin,

It sounds like the images were copied and pasted from a page that has restrictions or limited permissions.

When we copy+paste an attachment, the application will not re-upload the attachment, instead, it will simply show the attachment from the source space (thumbnail referencing the source space/page) so, if there is permission/restriction applied on that source page, it won't show the attachments in the page they were pasted, unless the user has access to the source space/page.

To avoid this issue, we don't recommend copy+paste images between restricted spaces/pages and instead, re-upload them to the new space/page.

This article shows how to check the storage format of the page to see if the images are in fact attached to another page: Some images do not display correctly in a Confluence page, but show 'Unknown Attachment' instead

Thanks,

Ann

Yesterday I did not correct this issue, but today when I check the same help page as the same simple user, I can see the picture. 
Also, I have created a template text with several pictures we use on most of our help pages. When creating a new page I use this template page. Sometimes when creating the new page, some pictures are missing. Sometimes the are lost later on. Most of the time they stay available.

I can understand missing permissions. I cannot understand that sometimes the same page is missing data, sometimes it spontaneously reappears. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,056 views 16 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you