Anonymizer for Support ZIP

roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Atlassian has a page about anonymising content of a space export. Do they have anything similar for Support ZIPs?

Cheers,
Roman.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2018

Hi Roman,

To the best of my knowledge there is no such anonymization tool for an Atlassian support zip.   We have guides on anonymizing XML data backups for Jira or confluence, because we recognize that some environments are unable to provide our support teams sensitive data contained within.   However even those anonymized backups can be useful for our support teams to try to recreate unusual problems with configurations.   When you anonymize this data, it is specifically looking at set fields such as summarize, descriptions, text fields, etc, and in turn is replacing characters with a series of XXXXX characters.  This process still leaves in tact most application settings and other configuration.

But typically the support zip does not contain that same kind of information as the database/XML backups.  To anonymize the support resource I would expect to actually have it obscure important logging information that is useful when troubleshooting a lot of different possible problems.   I believe that is why it does not exist.

However when you are creating a support zip, you do have the options to select which resources to be included: logs, application logs, application data, tomcat configurations, user directory configurations, etc.   So there still tends to be some granular control you can have over what data to share with support.

roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2018

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events