Adding a border to an image not longer available?

Adrian Lynch July 9, 2019

There doesn't seem to be an option to add a border to an image like there used to be.

Instead I only see alignment options:Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 18.06.24.pngThis is on a free trial. Is this limited or has that been dropped as a default feature?

Was it part of a plugin that's missing in the free trial?

15 answers

11 votes
yujin_kwon January 8, 2020

Really frustrationg about it. It breaks all of my company's document formating.

Now I'm drawing rectalges on each image I upload on confluence. and my colleagues blame on me about this "IMPROVEMENT".

Why Atlassian do not hearing user's voice? I loved Confluence but not now. 
Very dissapoint about it.

Deleted user March 29, 2020

Totally agree with Eugene, makes me wonder what is the rationale for deciding what needs to be changed in the new version and why?

Like Chandan likes this
Richard Colvin March 12, 2021

I remember when backwards compatibility used to be a thing ....

7 votes
Stephanie Seltmann January 22, 2020

VERY disappointed about removing this feature - we used it a lot as a lot of images have white background, placing them on a white page requires a border, now I have to waste time adding and removing borders in Sketch & Photoshop... 

2 votes
Natasha Chernanavska January 31, 2020

I would also like to say that the new functionalities worsen the product. I constantly used a lot of features that are no longer available. It seems like Atlassian doesn't care at all about their customers. There is a list of features (and this one is one of the most important ones) that you no longer have which were crucial. Another example is formatting colors. The provided colors are a joke. I want old colors with full palette back. 

You should reconsider and bring back the features people are complaining about no longer having. 

1 vote
Matthew Noble July 1, 2020

Hey Atlassian team, 

I'm posting here since you locked the discussion thread here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/Try-out-the-new-editing-experience/td-p/1000813

Removing the border functionality and the colour palette is one of the stupidest design decisions I have ever come across. You have actively made your product worse and less sticky. Whomever was the Product Owner that signed off this "idea" should be fired.

1 vote
Geoff_H April 15, 2020

Not to be offensive, but constructively critical. It is extremely disappointing that Atlassian/Confluence has so drank the Kool-Aid of collaborative features implementation.

As a user community we should not be voting on whether to have the basic document editor features, like borders around images, these are things that should just come with the product if you want to release a document editor. What is even more sad is that this solid and easy to use product has become inferior to products like MS Word, which was released in 1989. 31 years later, I'm still having to go back and use MS Word - and why??? Because of picture borders...

1 vote
David Bjorgen March 25, 2020

Image borders seem like such a basic feature and such a stupid idea to remove them from the editor. Please re-add quickly.

1 vote
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2020

Just another disappointment from Atlassian's user-unfriendly design/product team :-(

What is it with you folks and taking away useful functionality?!

1 vote
Debora Ventrella February 13, 2020

Agree, miss border and the old features, it was very simple. With all the white/light themed apps these days, the images look like they are floating in space. Not great at all for professional looking doc.

1 vote
Ryan Schefke February 11, 2020

Really crappy the image borders are not there anymore! That was the only thing I used! Loved to paste, add the border, done. Great for customer docs. But you took that away!

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2019

Hello Adrian,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! It's nice to meet you.

We don't have trial versions of our software here at Atlassian, so what you are seeing is the full functionality. You are now on the new editing experience in Confluence, and this is the reason for the change. 

A few features have been removed, and it will either be permanent or temporary, depending on the feature. 

With the border feature which you are asking about, we are removing it and replacing it with a new feature called Image properties. Have a look at the Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap for details:

[This]... would let you add a title or various novelty frames to your image, is being removed. This is being replaced with image annotations, which lets you add shapes, arrows, brushstrokes, text, and blur to images, in various different colors.

We have a public discussion about the new editor going on at Try out the new editing experience. Feel free to join in, and let us know your feedback.

Regards,

Shannon

Adrian Lynch July 16, 2019

Thanks Shannon.

It's a shame the old image properties are being removed. It doesn't sound like the new ones can achieve the same things.

Is there nothing, short of editing the image, I can do in Confluence to add a border to the image?

Like # people like this
Adrian Lynch July 16, 2019

So I ended up putting the image inside a table with one cell...

Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 17.53.39.pngNot ideal but looks OK.

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2019

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for sharing your workaround. Otherwise, I would have probably added an inline border on the image in a photo editing program instead.

Please do share this feedback, I think that a lot of users could benefit as well. You can also try creating a new feature request at jira.atlassian.com, as I don't currently see one for the new editor.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Hua Soon SIM _Akeles_ likes this
Karl Parmann August 22, 2019

I agree with Adrian. I miss the old features.

However, the system is more responsive now than before.

Like Perry Tew likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2019

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the feedback as well. Please also join in on the discussion about the new editor and it's features (or lack thereof) at Discussion: Try out the new editing experience!

Regards,

Shannon

Nic Price September 13, 2019

Hi, just run into the exact same issue. It's a mobile screenshot which ends up being white on white. I tried the table workaround but think I need to persevere some more.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2019

Hi Nic,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. 

Were you able to add it into a single table cell like @Adrian Lynch did? If you need to resize it you can resize the image first, then move it into the cell.

Regards,

Shannon

Nic Price September 13, 2019

Yes, but my inner developer is very upset with me.

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2019

@Nic Price,

I saw that a feature request didn't end up being created for this, so I created one below:

• CONFCLOUD-67895 Ability to modify image properties and add border in new editor

Please go ahead and vote on the request and you'll be automatically added to the list of watchers and be updated of any changes.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this
Simon L October 27, 2019

Definitely do miss the image border and resize options on drag & drop images onto a page.

Pros:

It helped to cut down the time to produce pages on the fly for on-screen presentation.

It also allowed me to go through the pages my staff would produce and quickly help add borders around instructional images.

Cons:

At the same time it also made life insanely challenging when we needed to export the page to a word or PDF document for instance and had to manually resize each image to something that would fit the word/pdf sizes...

Bugger!

Thanks for the information and continual improvement attempts! :)

Like Shannon S likes this
Eugene Kovalchuk November 28, 2019

Insert into a single cell table is far from being ideal solution. As far as I can tell, this option eliminates ability to easily resize inserted image. A vote for CONFCLOUD-67895 is added.

Like Dustin Ghia likes this
André Pacitchnik December 6, 2019

A vote added too :( It's completely understandable ...

Sri Krishna Devaraya Vuyyuru December 12, 2019

So, in essence, the chef has removed the meat patty from the existing Hamburger ingredients and put it on the "Coming Soon" list. He is now asking the diners to go vote on whether they want the meat patty back in their Hamburgers or not. I guess the chef is one hell of an Einstein.
Out in the sane world, ordinary earthlings "Add" new benificial features to their 'existing' list of product features.... not remove a feature and dangle that carrot in front of their customers in the name of future improvements.
Someone on the Confluence team must be a real genius!!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Christophe KOHLER July 17, 2020

Please set that option back, it is missing.

Having "design" interface is nice, but mainly the tools need to be usable. (my white pictures can not be seen on document)

Using pay cloud confluence.

0 votes
Bernd Waibel May 27, 2020

Hi, is this still "open"? The request is nearly 1 year. Any progress so far?

What is a "Short-Term backlog"? One Year?
So what is "Long-Term"? 10 Years?

Could somebody answer this?

Marcin Kwiecien May 28, 2020

I believe they brought it back. At least I can now create a border again :) 

Bernd Waibel May 28, 2020

No. The confluence in Atlassian cloud does not have this feautre.
In the new view you can not add a border to this.

Maybe: Are you are using the old view? Are you using the atlassian cloud?

Maybe you could tell how you can create a border?

I click on the image and the border options show up below, as it was working before they took it away.
I'm indeed using Confluence Cloud.
But you are right, it seems that I can't do that if I create a new page, because it's using the new view.
I'm able to add a border to a page that I created before the new view came in, that's why it's still working. I would be interested if it's possible to go back to that old view, since it's still out there as evident by me being able to add that border on an older page.

0 votes
Marcin Kwiecien March 18, 2020

Absolutely terrible.

Same with Jira, making it unreadable and hiding most fields that we were using to now Confluence. 

Update: I believe they brought it back. At least I can now create a border again :) 

0 votes
Donald Fernandes February 11, 2020

Hello - can we get a choice to use either the old or the new page editing features.. I know that the old functionality is still supported, if the page was created prior to the new rollout.

thank you,

-Donald

0 votes
Chris Mills February 5, 2020

I also miss the image border. Our main application has a lot of white background in it and any screenshot we include looks poor without a border.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events