"User style" to show markup while editing pages

Graham Hannington May 23, 2018

In brief:

To show markup while editing Confluence pages, use the Stylish (or Stylus) browser extension with the "Confluence editor - show tags" style.

In detail:

In 2012, I developed some CSS to show markup while editing Confluence pages:confluence-editor-show-tags.png

I published the CSS as the "Confluence rich text editor - show tags" style on the userstyles.org website.

I pretty much forgot about it until now.

Recently, I noticed some errant span elements appearing in Confluence pages. I created a support request for the problem. (Atlassian's public Jira no longer allows me to create a bug issue for CONFSERVER.)

To help Atlassian understand the problem, I "resurrected" this style, and uploaded an animated GIF to the support request, showing an errant span appearing while editing:

confluence-errant-spans-animated.gif

Changes in the Confluence editor since 2012 meant that I had to tweak the CSS to make it work in my current version of Confluence (6.7.0).

I wanted to update the style I'd published on userstyles.org, but I'd lost my password for that site. I hadn't specified an email address when I'd signed up, so I couldn't retrieve the password. (My password hygiene is better these days!) The userstyles.org support staff kindly deleted the old style, and I've uploaded an updated version.

The original style had been downloaded over 400 times. I created this "discussion" item to let people who'd downloaded it know I've updated it, and also to mention the style to new users (now that I've resurrected it for a more recent version of Confluence).

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events