What would you suggest as an Intranet using Confluence?

Christina Roufosse January 12, 2022

In my company, there is a new debate between the Communication Team and the Knowledge Base project team: should we be using Confluence as a Intranet or rather MS Viva, directly accessible from Teams? We are definitely not using Confluence across all the departments and teams at this stage (slow adoption process), it has been a bit over a year that we use Confluence because of our dev team using Jira.

We are not sure if using Confluence as a Wiki and MS Viva as an Intranet makes sense: is it creating more work or confusion among  our collaborators? Maybe someone using both can explain how it is beneficial or perhaps if you are using Confluence as an Intranet and unique source of information, you can explain how that's better perhaps?

4 comments

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Christina Roufosse welcome to the Atlassian community.

That's very interesting ask and comparison between two great platforms.

As an end user, I always prefer Confluence over any other platform given the ease, accessibility, support.

As you have mentioned your teams are using confluence in integration with Jira, you might have already seen the features.

I found this blog that compares both: Confluence-vs-Microsoft-Viva 

And here's our community end users self experiences exploring confluence: Confluence collaborators 

Like Christina Roufosse likes this
Christina Roufosse January 12, 2022

thank you so much!

Jim Tolson February 13, 2023

What would be ideal is an Integration between Microsoft Viva and Confluence, so Viva is aware of confluence content and can offer it to users in Teams when suggesting "topics" to users.

TEST DEVELOPER January 12, 2022

Hi @Christina Roufosse 

If you are talking about Cloud version of Confluence, you can use it as intranet, but need to add some functions via addons to be nice and usable (company menu, news, etc...). Atlassian is working on Themes now (you cannot theme Confluence for company design now even there is button for it...). And many developers are actually developing new addons or migrating excelent addons from Server/Datacenter to Cloud (like Linchpin Intranet )
If you have more questions please ping me :-)

Like # people like this
Robert Krause
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Hello @Christina Roufosse 

in addition to what Zatroch already pointed out, there is Linchpin Hey to use Confluence Cloud as an intranet.

Like # people like this
Patrick Haley January 12, 2022

I prefer a single platform, but it really depends on who needs access and what they need to see. We user Confluence and a custom Intranet. Most of our users don't really need access to the knowledge base in Confluence. In some areas on the Intranet, we link the relevant Confluence articles as needed. 

Most of our users just need quick links to various resources and to see some global reporting metrics. They do this in the Intranet and it doesn't really cost anything because it's a standalone website where each user has a SSO login.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events