Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to organize projects in Jira? Labels, Components or another method?

MB January 17, 2020

I'm just wondering what unique and proven methods do Jira admins find more preferable in organizing projects for their company?  Do people find the labels as the most efficient way for organization?  Also, what do you find to be the most manageable way to handle different schemes in Jira?  If approached in a wrong way this tool can become easily disorganized and overwhelming.

Experienced admins have valuable knowledge on this topic of which newer admins would appreciate.  Myself being one.

Many thanks for any input,

-M

1 comment

Comment

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

G'day Mechelle,

Thank you for the post.  I would say a lot of organization utilize components as a field on Projects to delineate work or utilize boards with filter queries to delineate work.  There are a lot of similar discussions and articles on the community that will provide additional insight.

A great starting point would be here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Best-Practices-Strategies-for-Defining-your-JIRA-Projects/ba-p/603061

This article will cover components:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/organizing-work-with-components-764478279.html

Like # people like this
MB January 19, 2020

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your input and information.  I'm researching the information that you sent me and I'm sure they will be very helpful.

Wishing you all the best

-M

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Hi Mechelle,

Sounds great!

Please post here after going through some of the material if you have any more questions.  Knowing how you would like to organize whether it is by team/program, product lines, releases, etc. will help highlight some specific techniques that have worked for other organizations in the past.

Cheers!

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events