We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2018

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team! 

July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what kind of templates you’ve created in Confluence, we thought we’d take this opportunity to actually see those templates!

Post screenshots below (feel free to cross out or remove any sensitive info) to show off your best templates and tell us how they’ve helped improve your work. 

We can’t wait to see them!

*IMPORTANT NOTE: there is a known bug with posting images in discussion comments if you try to post an image and nothing else, you get an error. You will need to include some text in addition to the image.

10 comments

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2018

Hi @Jessica Lynn,

Since we do not use JIRA Software yet for project management, we have developed project based global templates. These are not super fancy, but they supply us the information needed to do our job efficiently. 

template.jpg

Like Frederik Rentrop likes this
Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2018

Hi @Jonathan Smith,

What a creative idea! I love how clean, simple and clear these templates are. Thank you for sharing! 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2018

Here is the lates template I created. this is a "plugin evaluation" template. We always evaluate market place plugins before we install it in our confluence instance.

here we track user requirement that leads to get a plugin, any substitute plugins and nominated plugin/s for further evaluation based on our selection criteria, functional analysis, test scenario executed and results, technical analysis, anomaly report , risk found and finally a summary of tasks executed so far. 

screenshot-community.atlassian.com-2018.07.11-10-08-11.png

Deleted user July 12, 2018

Wow @Alana Fernando,

This template is very clean and well formatted. I was searching for a form such as this, thanks for the inspiration.

:) 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2018

Glad you found this useful @[deleted] 😊 ! 

Also As I mentioned there are much more in to this. 

• substitute plugins and nominated plugin/s for further evaluation based on our selection criteria (we usually consider about the Atlassian verification, user reviews and number of active instances at the considered time)
  • functional analysis (function list available) 
  • test scenario executed and results (here we mention the test results of the functionalities after testing the plugin in our test instance) 
  • technical analysis (log errors or other technical evaluations)
  • anomaly report (functional or technical bugs/issues found) 
  • risk found (risk of the anomalies we found) 
  • summary (comments based on outcomes) 
Deleted user July 12, 2018

I would be interested to know if you manually test for the above criteria or if you build automated tests, or perhaps even both?

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2018

I manually test. As it is just a evaluation (most probably one time thing) I think it is waste of time to script a automation test suit. 😊 

Also even for a new 'plugin version evaluation for already existing plugin'; I refuse to script test suits since vendors improve and change the functionalities rapidly and have to change the code time to time. it is much much cheaper to test manually. 

Deleted user July 13, 2018

Thanks @Alana Fernando

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 13, 2018

Beautiful template, @Alana Fernando

I love how you used macros to keep everything looking nice and neat. Has it been easy to get other people in your company to start using it too? 

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2018

My team mates are the people who use this template and they loved it. 😊

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

Before each release, we will create a Issue for approval in Jira, and the specific content of this release will be reflected in Confluence, linking the Jira and Confluence pages through Issuelinks

release note.png

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 16, 2018

Hi @Ollie Guan, great template! Linking between Jira and Confluence is such a great way way to stay organized. We do the same thing here at Atlassian! 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

What a nice idea @Jessica Lynn

Excited to see how others work.

Here is my latest blueprint: Created to get Processing standards, we are using on all 15 production locations worldwide - digitized, centralized and unified.

grafik.png

To make it comfortable for the non-technical users - I used several variables (dropdown lists) to choose from. You can also see several Macros we used and costumized for this space that tracks who created the document, who worked last on it aso. sorry that everything is in german

We overworked it several times - and I have to say: it was absolutly worth the time we invested. People who first were skeptical love how easy they can create and update those important things. Acceptance is growing!

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 16, 2018

Hi @Fabienne Gerhard,

Totally agree: creating a really good template can be time consuming, but it's almost always worth it in the long run! At Atlassian, our templates save me *so* much time –– both because I don't waste time creating the same page formats over and over again and because our documents are standardized and easy to scan through for information. 

I can definitely tell that you put a lot of effort into this template, it's so beautiful and well-organized! I especially like the dropdown lists and that you made an effort to make it accessible for non-technical users. Nice touch!  

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2018

Thank you @Jessica Lynn - I'm totally with you.

What is another benefit of well-prepared templates, which you work out well that are checked at regular intervals, is that people have to overthink their processes and claims they have to it. We found several points that had absolut first priority that are now gone and not needed anymore :)

Philipp Göllner (XALT) July 24, 2018

Nice @Fabienne Gerhard :)

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2018
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2018

Hey Atlassian Team Members, how about you show us some of your secret / non-published templates!

smile.gif

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 8, 2018

@Jonathan Smith coming atcha soon!

Like # people like this
Hunter Morgan February 1, 2020

did you ever post anything showing this? if so where?

Like Deleted user likes this
Mike Solomon July 12, 2018

Here's one that we use to report on the status of large projects.

Each large project gets its own Confluence space with a templatized homepage

The deploy date is reading from a Jira fixVersion date using a custom macro

The status is a custom macro that has pre-defined statuses

Image 2018-07-12 at 1.38.53 PM.png

All projects get aggregated by team on a single project status page using page properties report macros. More info can be accessed using the expand macro

Image 2018-07-12 at 1.36.47 PM.png

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2018

Hi @Mike Solomon

It seems like a lot of you are fans of the expand macro when it comes to templates! I am too. I think it's really helpful when all or most of the major information in a template is available at a glance and viewers can choose if they want to read more detailed information. Not only does it make your document easier to read through, but I also think it's more pleasing to the eye. 

Thanks so much for sharing your template! It looks great! 

Joshua McManus August 8, 2018

Wow, I really like that macro that pulls the Version Date! I'm all for not having to update a thousand places when we adjust a release date!

Mike Solomon August 8, 2018

Thanks @Joshua McManus

Here is a little clip of the macro in action:

Screen Recording 2018-08-08 at 04.07 PM.gif

And the result:

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 4.08.34 PM.png

Code is open source here: https://github.com/msolomonTMG/confluence-jira-deploy-dates-add-on

Iulia Savin July 13, 2018

Hello!

This is my projects' summary page template. The scope of this page is to keep track and on the updates made on each project page and to have the info in a single place. 

I used a table and each cell in Project name column has an expand macro/ and excerpt include (bringing here only the update info from the project page, where an issue macro is also present). Details here represents the link to the page. At the beginning, the header also had the sorting feature, which now is gone (no explanation found yet- no merges in the table). The sorting used to be very helpful :(.

The date for the last update is inserted manually and it would really be very helpful if anyone could suggest a macro that would help me just track the last update directly from the updated page. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Hope this could prove helpful for someone :)

Thanks for other inspirational ideas found here!

July

Summary template.png

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2018

Hi @Iulia Savin

Love your well-organized template!

Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble sorting your tables by date and thanks for your feedback on the heading sorting feature. Have you considered using the Advanced Tables for Confluence app? One of its features is advanced date sorting so hopefully it helps! 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2018

The template I use the most is the one for my Jira or Confluence tutorials:

template.PNGVery simple but very useful:

• I have one template for Jira and another one for Confluence so that it automatically adds the corresponding label (tuto-jira or tuto-confluence) to organize the main tutorials page by subject. I used to have only one template but I very often forgot to add the right label!
  • Goal is to describe the tutorial more precisely, e.g.: a tutorial is called "How to add swimlanes on a board?" and the goal is "Improve boards readability"
  • Prerequisites is to mention whether you need to be an admin, or the sprint to be finished for example
  • Subjects mentioned is to add keywords like JQL, board, workflow, etc.

And an anonymized screenshot of the main tutorials page to be complete:

tutorials.png

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2018

Please implement a feature on the API.

"Create a page from a template using API!"

Like Barnali Putatunda likes this
Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2018

Wow @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_

What a clever idea for a template. Simple and so easy to read. Thanks so much for sharing! 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

We use Jira to track our IT assets (servers, workstations, etc). However, we use Confluence to document information about the services on our servers. We use Jira's functionality to link issues to Confluence pages. So, when we have a new service application we create a Confluence page for it and then in Jira we link the server ticket to the Confluence page. Also, any change tasks to the application or servers are linked to the Confluence page as well. I also created a couple user macros that wrap the confluence Jira macro to pull back tickets that are linked to the page that the user macro is placed on. One caveat this requires the ScriptRunner add-on as it uses a JQL function added by that add-on. Below is a screenshot of the template and the user macro code.

With this setup we have a page with a page properties report macro that rolls up all that information so we can see a list of our services, the critically, who owns the service, the server(s) that support that service, and vendor support information. So, in the event of service disruption we have a one-stop-shop for high level information about our service catalog. And if we drill down to a specific service we can see documentation for that service and any work done on it (upgrades, config changes, issue tickets) audited through Jira tickets.

Capture.PNG

Macro Name:
jira_server_links

Macro Title:
Jira Server Links

Macro Body Processing:
No macro body

Template:

## Developed by: Davin Studer
## Date created: 06/28/2018
## @noparams

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="jira" ac:schema-version="1">
    <ac:parameter ac:name="server">{Our Server}</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="columns">summary,Production Status</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="maximumIssues">1000</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="jqlQuery">project = ASSETS AND issuetype = Server AND status = "In Service" AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRemote("query", "pageId=$content.id")</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="serverId">{serverid}</ac:parameter>
</ac:structured-macro>

Macro Name:
jira_issue_links

Macro Title:
Jira Issue Links

Macro Body Processing:
No macro body

Template:

## Developed by: Davin Studer
## Date created: 06/28/2018
## @noparams

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="jira" ac:schema-version="1">
    <ac:parameter ac:name="server">{Our Server}</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="columns">key,type,summary,created,status,assignee,reporter</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="maximumIssues">1000</ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="jqlQuery">project = OPSLOG AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRemote("query", "pageId=$content.id") </ac:parameter>
    <ac:parameter ac:name="serverId">{serverid}</ac:parameter>
</ac:structured-macro>

Jessica Lynn
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

Hi @Davin Studer

Love to see so many people making use of how well Confluence and Jira can work together! I think your idea of creating a "one-stop shot" for service catalog info is such a good way to make sure you can get things back on track as soon as possible if there's a service disruption. So happy to see that you're using templates to do your best work! 

Barnali Putatunda
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2019

HI,

Love to have an API to create Confluence page based on template.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events