Nested tables no longer supported

Hey Atlassian project managers,

You removed the support of nested tables in Confluence cloud, so we can't create anymore tables in a list or in another table for example....

Please tell us why you removed this feature ? If you write documents, this is used a lot, don't you know about this ? Maybe you use another software ?

I don't thank you, really.

6 comments

You can nest tables inside other tables but not directly.

There are several ways but one I know is as follows
(I just did a bunch of them)

1. Insert an Info macro in the table cell of interest.

2. Build the sub-table inside the Info macro.

Note: You can't generally copy an existing table into the Info macro.

Workaround is to create the sub-table there, then copy/paste the info from the source table to the new target table, row by row. 

odd that it was changed...the above is a poor workaround.  would be interested in hearing the Atlasssian approach for this newly added 'feature'.

I have another approach using the Multiexcerpt macro:

1. Create your page that has the main table
  2. Create a subpage to hold all of the smaller tables you want to nest into the main table. If you have a lot of nested tables to include, you could create one subpage for each column header to make them easier to manage.
  3. Create each smaller table into a multiexcerpt. Be sure to name the multiexcerpt in a way that describes where its content will go.
  4. Go back to the main table, select "multiexcerpt include" and select the page and multiexcerpt name to include.

In the example below "Notes" is the page where I create the individual tables, each surrounded by a MultiExcerpt and a title that explains where it goes.

Step 1.png

Next, use the Multiexcerpt include macro and insert it the correct data into the into the main table

Step 2.png

Save the page and it looks like this:

Step 3.png

I hope that this helps.

-Michael

Thanks for all the workaround.

But be honestly. This is just a bad change.

It makes confluence a bad tool for creating any detailed technical documents. You have to spend lot of time just try to make the layout more readable ? But you can do this in seconds with words or google doc...

Just wonder what is the road map of Confluence?
We used to use Confluence build detailed technical documents. But we can no longer do that.
It just silly if we need other tools to write documents then put them into Confluence.

An additional workaround that I don't believe is described above:

If you have the Source Editor plug-in installed, you can use it to copy and paste the source code of the sub-table into the main table. 

It'll look something like this (I did not include the full table formatting for brevity) :

<table>
  <tbody>
     <tr>
       <th>Title1</th>
       <th>Title2</th>
       <th>Title3</th>
        <th>Title4</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
       <td></td>
      <td>
          Basic Content
       </td>
      <td colspan="1">
            <p>Provide basic concept info:</p>
                   <table>
                            <tbody>
                                <tr>
                                  <th colspan="1">Heading1</th>
                                  <td colspan="1">Content 1</td>
                                        </tr>
                                    <tr>
                               <th colspan="1">Heading2</th>
                              <td colspan="1">Content 2</td>
                                  </tr>
                             <tr>
                                 <th>Heading3</th>
                                <td>Content 3</td>
                           </tr>
            </tbody>
         </table>
    </td>
<td><br /></td>
<td><br /></td>
<td><br /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
</td>

</tbody>
</table>

Note: Confluence Cloud does not play nicely with the Source Editor plug-in, even though it is supposedly supported. Confluence will automatically inject gross spacing formatting if you dare to open the normal editor functions after making adjustments to the source code. 

Removing nested tables is a blockheaded decision at best. Structure in a HTML document comes from nested tables. No nested tables? No structure. Yeah, fallback to bulleted lists or something? Nope.

Don't bore me with "workarounds" when it's hard to make people even start using Confluence in the first place.

This is the situation of a manufacturer deciding to remove the wheels from a wheelchair because these are then easier to implement, test and paint in silly colors.

Once UX designers and "focus groups" are ensconced in a decision process, it's over I guess. Oh yeah, that reminds me. That "flat look" is fugly. Just saying.

Comment

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

477 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you