JIRA Service Desk w/Confluence Server Best Practices

Nathan Jackson January 19, 2018

We are getting ready to install JIRA Service Desk using Confluence for our knowledge-base.  We are planning on PostgreSQL for the database.  I few month back when we started outlining this project I thought I found an article the outlined best practices for setup (which I can't find now). As I recall this recommended setting up JIRA Service Desk, Confluence and PostgreSQL each on separate servers. 

We are and SMB with about 300 end-users, 6 technicians so there is not a high level of demand.  Give our size I am thinking that we should be fine to setup one server for PostgreSQL and on for both JIRA Service Desk and Confluence or are there other considerations that I am missing that would make keeping each separate better?  There is future potential to also use Confluence as intranet.

Suggestions or pointers to relevant documentation would be appreciated.

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

The "three server" recommendation is generally aimed at resource limits and single point of failure.

You can put all three services on the same server, but you must make sure it can handle them - a server with only 4Gb RAM is going to struggle with even a 10 user base.  And, of course, if something goes wrong with the server, you've lost access to all the services, not just Jira OR Confluence.

Basically, look for the "supported platforms" page for each system, they have sizing guides, which might help guide you decide on one two or three servers.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events