Is Confluence a good solution for document data capture and recall?

Matt Ash October 31, 2019

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to Confluence and I'd like to get your opinions on whether the platform is suitable for my use case. Basically my company use a PowerPoint template currently as an Architecture Vision document, and I'd like to recreate the document within Confluence. Allowing the users to enter data, store and retrieve/edit it, etc. 

I guess it's almost like a document management system, with the documents being created from forms?

Does that make sense? Would you recommend using Confluence for this?

Thanks,

Matt

1 comment

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

Hi @Matt Ash 

If you need a space where you can allow users to edit and enter data - I can highly recommend adapting Confluence for your specific use case.

I'm using Confluence daily within many types of projects - from content publishing and joint-editing to mass voting about the new team hoodies.

You can expand the capabilities of your spaces and do almost anything via Confluence Macros

There are also a variety of marketplace apps and vendors focused on the Confluence experience.

My advice - get a free Confluence trial, do a few experiments. I'm sure you'll love it! :) 

Like # people like this
Matt Ash October 31, 2019

Sorry I should have mentioned we already have Confluence on site, we use it quite extensively but more as Wiki and project management. No-one has used it as a document creation/management system, I've had a look but don't see any examples online and haven't had much luck experimenting.

Any recommendations? Thanks! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

It's good that you're already familiar :)

You can refer to these articles:

The Confluence Evaluator resources: Confluence as Document Management System

Confluence Business case, Server/Cloud

The experience will be slightly different from your current tool, but it worths the try.

k15t are true gods in administering and enhancing Confluence content in terms of Documents. One interesting and helpful article from them here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Documents-Done-Right-How-to-Better-Manage-Documents-in/ba-p/1018942 

Matt Ash November 1, 2019

Thanks again for your reply. This link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/confluence-evaluator-resources/confluence-document-management-system?_ga=2.53151912.1041870175.1572449902-314515926.1571825101 is very interesting - it seems like Confluence can do everything I need, but it unfortunately doesn't have any next steps. There don't seem to be any self-help docs around that address this specific use-case. It is so obvious that I'm missing something really simple?

Thanks for the k15t link - looks like they do some great add-ons but nothing end-to-end. I assume I'm missing something because the response seems to be Confluence can do what I want, I just don't know how to do it :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2019

You are very welcome :)

I guess every use case has its specific handling. Maybe you can try a sample project with a page tree or specifications table and share it as a discussion here in the Confluence community. The truth for you may rise upon the suggestions.

I'm also managing my custom Confluence kingdom, but it different direction. :)

Nevertheless, I'll be glad to help!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events