How do you structure content in Confluence?

Jena Slezak _Pender_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2022

Howdy Confluence community! 👋

A while back, I asked you all what advice you would give new Confluence users, and you guys DELIVERED 👏 So I'm hoping you can come through again!

One piece of advice kept coming up: organize and structure your content so it's easy to find! 🗂 So I'm curious, how do you structure your content? 📚 Do you...

• Create a Space for every project?
  • Create a Space for every team? 
  • Create a new Space each fiscal year?

How do you organize your pages? 📄 Do you...

• Create parent pages for each project? 
  • Create parent pages for each fiscal year/quarter?
  • Or do you have "planning", "in-progress", and "completed" parent pages and move your work around based on their status?

Let me know what's worked for you!

3 comments

Xavier Delligne December 2, 2022

… 

Jena Slezak _Pender_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2022

Thanks, @Xavier Delligne ! Would love to know how this works out!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2023

@Jena Slezak _Pender_ great prompt, sorry I got here so late!

Internally, we create a Space for each team. This allows the teams to have a unique collaboration space that they can use to create their team based documents, projects and pages. They can also pull in pages from other spaces by using shortcuts on the left navigation pane.

We also create Spaces for specific projects based on the size, scope and impact that they present to the organization.

Within the spaces we try to stress parent pages for groups of similar pages - using a page tree on the parent page to help assist with navigating the child pages. When the parent page is for a project or process that has repeatable steps, and hence similar child pages, we use the Page Properties Report Macro to roll all of the statuses of the different projects/partners/tasks into the parent page for ease of viewing overall project health.

Darshanaa _ServiceRocket_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2024

Hey @Jena Slezak _Pender_ , good question!

We usually create a space for each project, but we also have a space for each department. 

This helps us contain information/guides/processes relevant to the necessary project/department.

Besides that, we also use Space Manager for Confluence to organise our Confluence space structure. it's been really easy & quick to locate/move pages around because it gives an overview of your entire space structure at a single glance.

Hope this helps :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events