How do you create and use a known error database in jira-confluence

tommas84 July 18, 2019
Hi All!

I would like to create a known issue database related to ITIL. Im curious how do you do this? With a confluence page, or you handle/create issues and mark them as known error? If yes, how?
Please help to find the best way to it.

3 comments

anthony_butler May 20, 2020

I would also like to know how other people have done this. I'm sure other people have implemented this and I would like to see what you have done and the benefits of this. We are just starting to need this now and I'd hate to try and reinvent the wheel. Can someone please help?

Jack Caesar February 2, 2022

Hi @anthony_butler and @tommas84 - did either of you have any luck on this? Do you use confluence, or another tool? Would live to hear your experiences!

Cheers

Jonathan Rodriguez April 2, 2022

I'm in the same situation, needing to create an KEDB, the idea I currently have is (if we need to reinvent the wheel) to create lables around those tickets having repeated alerts/incidents.

If we create lables such as "known error", we can create some dashboard or queries (JQL) to extract all of those who have such label and maybe the name of the product in question. So when you run a query, you could query something like:

"Give me all Jira tickets/type where label is "known error" and product is "ProductA/B/C"

That way, your users will have a list of all of those in that situation. That's the idea I can come up with I guess.

What do you think? is there a better way? or could you improve my idea?

Like Dreymann_ Thomas likes this
Bernd Gurn September 7, 2023

I am also interested in a good solution. Our approach: create a known error issuetype and use together with an incident and problem issuetype. But how to define a security / visibility concept to differ known error tickets as only for internal and some for external access?

Thanks for some feedback.

Regards, BeGu

Like Allan Harder likes this
Bernd Gurn February 9, 2024

Meanwhile we have evaluated some options by putting some dedicated fields in a problem record and created a filter based on that fields. The idea was to use the Jira filter macro of Confluence for offering a page that populates the filter results. Unfortunately to do that you have to set a global permission in Jira to allow annonymous user to access filter/tickets. Given with this setting you also open the user database to everyone on the web when searching for names at the "Share this ticket" functionality. That´s a to high risk and a data privacy issue from our point of view so we can´t use this way.

Currently now we have found no better way and being open for proposals.

Carey Fruitman February 10, 2024

Similar to Bernd's solution, we use our Problem Management tickets as Known Errors.

We added a checkbox field, Known Error, to the problem tickets in our Problem Management project. We also have two text fields in our problem tickets: Workaround and Fix. In the Workaround field we describe the workaround that gets users back on their feet, when there is no permanent fix to the problem. In the Fix field, we describe the permanent fix to the problem, if there is one. The logic for the Known Error checkbox is that if there is text in the Workaround field for the problem but no text in the Fix field, then the Known Error field is checked, and the problem ticket will appear in a filter we created on all problem tickets that are marked with Known Error. If text is subsequently added to the Fix field, then the Known Error checkbox for that problem ticket is cleared and the ticket no longer appears in the filter. We limit access to problem tickets only to IT staff who all have Jira licenses so there is no issue with anonymous users or sharing on the web. All our problem and incident tickets include a link in the Details side bar to this filter for easy access by service desk agents.

Bernd Gurn February 13, 2024

Hi Carey, as long as you don´t need to share Known Errors with customer but only with agents it sound like a good solution. Unfortunately we won´t go this way.

We are now searching for a solution than invoved exporting the needed data out of the tickets and put it in any way to the Confluence page. Not the best solution but a workaround. I m open for better suggestions.

Like Allan Harder likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events