How To Convince Your Boss/Org To Use CONFLUENCE!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Recently a conversation started up in the January monthly challenge badge about the benefits of using confluence and convincing a boss to start using it....

well, for the addicts among us naturally we already use it and love, but for others maybe they still need to introduce it into the company. So I thought it was nice to compile a whole list for people like Mark to receive tips & tricks / benefits of confluence so he can build a nice business case to present to his boss!

Here's the original chat:

Mark Higgins 5 hours ago

Happy New Year and we are looking to get Confluence :-), so if there are some recommendations on how to explain how great Confluence is, to my boss, I'd be grateful.

Kat Warner 4 hours ago

@Mark Higgins - is there some recent example where there ended up being too many versions of a document being sent via email? Maybe v1 was sent to 5 people and you ended up with a v1.1, v1CEOedits, and v2 - all based on v1 and not incorporating the changes each other person made?

Confluence collaboration allows multiple people to edit the same document - with version tracking - and prevents multiple copies of the same document be sent around. And less emails!

Confluence has many uses, so it is often good to think of a 'pain point' relevant to the person you are talking to and focus on that example.

Andy Barker

@Kat Warner makes a strong point here. Despite SharePoint for the heavy duty files/media and Confluence for the day2day Dev/PM items, I still get attachments by e-mail.😨🤡

Trodios Bank had horrendous troubles with versioning and file sharing, so their Atlassian Evangelist championed the use of Linchpin to turn Confluence into a Social Intranet, not just for Devs or projects... but the whole organisation. 

The 'pain point' is the most valid statement from Kat, so focus on that.

For TWNKLS our biggest challenge is structure and organisation.... in one project I inherited I had to clean up 20 illogical parent pages and 100 child-pages that didn't make any sense - so I forced everyone to use it properly and now we have projects with exceptionally clear structure:

(Wish I could show you more!)

Untitled.jpg

4 comments

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2019

Great idea @Andy - PTC Redundant - these sorts of discussions deserve their own (easier to find) thread.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Good Morning from the Netherlands @Kat Warner! All credit goes to you for initiating the topic !

🤩👍

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2019

Great @Andy - PTC Redundant & @Kat Warner - there is always a discussion where these arguments and tricks can help you to make your point of view for Confluence.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2019

Absolutely! :)

Mark higgins January 22, 2019

Thanks, I appreciate the responses and agree structure and organisation is the challenge. Love the versioning benefits as well, that is certainly something that I can use.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2019

Welcome Mark! Good luck with it.

Karen O'Keefe January 23, 2019

Do any of you know whether Confluence provides routing of documents? We have a fairly ridiculous approval process that occurs right now through email. I'm hoping we can use Confluence to route approvals. Is this possible?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2019

@Karen O'Keefe: Most definitely! But.... needs some programming. If you've got an internal team helping on Atlassian improvements I believe it can be done with Java Script. 
The most direct option is the paid one:
Marketplace -> Easy Document Signer (Pages Workflows)

I've seen some demo's by EPS Software Engineering and their add-on look super nifty... although I have no 1st hand experience.
(Came close once... almost bought their Space Tree Creator, but our CTO had difficult with the 3rd Party data clause).

Karen O'Keefe January 24, 2019

My boss said we will not have any developers assigned to work with the Confluence app after implementation. Is it truly plug and play? Or is this a recipe for failure?

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2019

@Karen O'Keefe: A wise question of caution - in general Confluence in the wrong hands is always a recipe for failure.
These apps seem to be truly plug and play. 
I am not sure of the service provided by vendor and as said no 1st hand experience yet. 

😔👎

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events