Do you pay attention to Estimated Read Time when creating a new page?

Anthony Doudt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

When I read a Confluence page I naturally first look at the Estimated Read Time to see what to expect. It's just habit now. Of course, I also consider the type of page I've clicked into - I have different expectations for a blog vs process page vs broad communication page, etc.

So, I'm curious if folks monitor their Read Time when they are creating content and edit to accommodate for more engagement (with the assumption that a tighter/shorter Read Time helps)? Or do you create your page and the Read Time length is what it is?

1 comment

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2021

Since we use Confluence primarily for documentation and meeting notes, I have not heard of anyone in our organization monitoring Read Time while creating or editing.  

Generally we think of "engagement" in terms of blog posts, newsletters, and other sales or marketing-driven content. We might consider Read Time if we were using the blog post functionality in Confluence more extensively.

When creating content for our internal teams, our emphasis is on providing the content that is needed, regardless of length... that being said, we do have an initiative to help our content creators use Plain Language, and that often involves simplifying and removing unneeded words. 

This is an interesting topic to think about -- maybe we will find more uses for Read Time over time. We still have many Legacy editor pages that do not display it.

Like Anthony Doudt likes this
Anthony Doudt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2021

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @Sharon Helms

It seems for internal teams, there can be a lot of pages and content competing for attention so I'm wondering if folks will begin to think about how to increase engagement and ensure people are fully reading and digesting the content, just as you might for external-focused content.  

Like Sharon Helms likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events