Create child pages directly from within the page tree!

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2019

Hello Community,

Avinoam here from Confluence Product Management.

When was the last time you created a Confluence page in the wrong place or spent ages trying to figure out how to create a child page from a parent page? If your answer is not long ago, the ability to create pages in context is here to help!

You can add a child page under whatever page you like directly from within the page tree. Simply tap on the new + icon that appears next to page name in the page tree, and your page will be created as a child page.

V8 (1).gif

This action is in addition to the global Create button, so if you want to make a child page of the one you are viewing, that process hasn’t changed.

Keep spaces organized

Adding pages contextually lets us add them where you want them to live from the start. Made a mistake or changed your mind? Use our new drag and drop feature in the page tree to drag the page where you want it or reorder the pages as you like.

Want other tips for organizing your Confluence content? Check out these 4 tips.

Have feedback?

This will be rolling out to all customers over the coming weeks, and we’d love for you to try it out and share your thoughts! Please feel free to share your feedback in the comments below or directly in the product by clicking your avatar on the bottom left > Send feedback.

24 comments

Comment

Francesc_Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2019

Hi @Avinoam , 

Being a simple feature, from my point of view these are great news in UX. There's no need to open a page in order to create some subpages.

Like # people like this
Rudolf_Dijkstra July 31, 2019

I would rather see that you first fix the previously existing features like user picker list macro, anchor macro and the insert horizontal line macro( now just 1/3 of the page wide), before you come with new features nobody requested.

Like # people like this
Mark July 31, 2019

I would like to see the ability to delete multiple pages at a time.  Much more valuable to me than this.  

Like # people like this
Lilian Tao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2019

This Feature is great! keep the good things flowing!

Like # people like this
Anne EQS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2019

Is this actually a new feature? As far as I can remember it always worked that way, at least in our instance (but might be due to us using an add-on.)

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2019

@Anne EQS yes, it is :)

Like Anne EQS likes this
Riccardo Gentile October 25, 2019

What you could do for the next iteration of this feature, is make so that when you click the "plus" sign you create a child page that is of the same template as the parent page (as default)

But it is ok for now.

Lillian Shibata-Salley October 25, 2019

What would be easier is if we can copy a whole space.... any idea when that will happen?

Like # people like this
Tina Guha October 31, 2019

This Feature is great! keep the good things flowing!

Francesc_Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2019

@Lillian Shibata-Salley I agree with you. A feature that would make the difference is the ability to copy a whole space out of the box (not using additional apps). Having this, we could generate template spaces with prepopulated pages.

Like # people like this
Simon Darken July 31, 2019

Seems like a useful feature to solve a problem I have regularly.  I'm not currently seeing the "+" icon appearing in my nav.  Is there something I need to do to have this feature appear?

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2019

@Simon Darken we're rolling it out gradually, so you should expect to have this within the coming weeks!

Like # people like this
Alexander Rogulya July 31, 2019

Why pushing this news by email if we can't still see this update?

Could you please first fix all the bugs that came with the new editor? Like hotkeys that are not working on non-US layouts, double scrollbars while editing documents (scrollbars that lead me to a white page), huge lags editing a large document, random everyday server failures, caching issues that don't allow me to see an updated content after saving a page, etc? Why are you wasting time on these minor tweaks while the main product is suffering from this raw editor update? Atlassian guys, please make the main job first!

Like # people like this
Giselle Stidston July 31, 2019

You could try expanding out the nav? The "+" seems to anchor to the width of the longest page title in your space...

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2019

@Giselle Stidston you're so right which is why it's in the works on our end. Should be releasing an updated design on that in the coming weeks!

Matt July 31, 2019

Nice!  The creation of pages in 'unexpected' places is something we have to deal with in every Confluence training session.  Much appreciated.

Like # people like this
Kianoesh Shademan July 31, 2019

Is this feature live? Can't see the new features just like the last time. We are running on cloud.

Like # people like this
Kianoesh Shademan August 29, 2019

The feature is still not available on our Confluence?

Like Schon Brenner likes this
Alena Novikova July 31, 2019

Well, finally) Very convenient!!! Thank you so much!

Vanessa Cristina D'Ávila August 1, 2019

Nice, finally! Thanks 

I'd like to see child issue and any fields in the graphic. 

Schon Brenner September 13, 2019

Hi.  I'm not seeing this feature in our Confluence Cloud version.  Is there a special way to turn this on?

License Information for Confluence Cloud

Confluence 1000.0.0-7d6a55e1a3e

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2019

Hi @Schon Brenner , thanks for asking. We're rolling this out gradually and it should be in everyone's hands very soon!

Marian Vidra March 10, 2020

Hi @Avinoam , any idea when it is going to be available?

Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2019

It's still not available on me Cloud instance... And it've been more than 2 months since the announcement... 

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2019

Hi all,

This is now available to all customers!

Like # people like this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2019

This is great. Saves the awkward MOVE after you have the page in the wrong place.

Like # people like this
Max Snow October 22, 2019

YES it's such a simple thing that annoys me all the time

Like # people like this
jondodd October 23, 2019

Hi, I'm fairly new to Atlassian and all the sections/pages/content within it so any add-in that makes life a little easier is always much appreciated.

Keep up the good work!

Like # people like this
Kelli Witzel October 23, 2019

Removes the extra steps to keep content organized, great improvement!

Like # people like this
Pennapha (Jaaey) Anuhanayonn October 23, 2019

Oh Cool!!!

Geoff Willings October 24, 2019

Nice, I started using this as soon as I saw it - great new feature.

Steven Webster October 24, 2019

I miss being able to type [new page name] in square brackets, have it turn into a hyperlink for a yet to be created page, then click on the page to create/edit it.

Is there an equivalent markup shortcut?

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

Hey @Steven Webster ! We don't have such a shortcut available yet, but that's awesome feedback!

Aron Brand December 1, 2019

This is terribly missing ... Can we get it back please ?

Pascal October 24, 2019

This has just been made available in our instance. I'm sure it will save us a few clicks.

I'm wondering why the page name is repeated in a floating label when hovering over a link in the page tree. Might be handy when you have a few pages starting with the same words and the page tree is too narrow so you can't make a distinction between those page simply by reading the page titles in the tree.
IMHO this is not a very common use case, and from a UI-perspective the floating label is not a very pretty thing to see: it makes the UI less clean

Like Sanjog Sigdel likes this
Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2019

Hi @Pascal  , thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. This is exactly our intent behind the page title tooltip:

"Might be handy when you have a few pages starting with the same words and the page tree is too narrow so you can't make a distinction between those page simply by reading the page titles in the tree."

We learned that this is actually more common than we had expected. Agreed that the UI can be cleaner. We have plan for further improvement down the road. We'll inform the community once we have more details to share.

Sundara Lakshminarayanan October 25, 2019

Great

aaron.deyonker February 25, 2020

What happened to the ability to create pages directly in the editor using [<new page name>]

???

Like # people like this
Lloyd June 30, 2020

Looks like a nice feature, but I don't see it.  In two weeks it will be a year since this post.  That's one hell of a slow roll out.

Like Micheal Planck likes this
Pascal June 30, 2020

Really? And you're using Confluence Cloud?

Lloyd June 30, 2020

No.  I see this group is using an old version.

Rahul August 9, 2020

I had been using this feature for quite some time, but recently it stopped working. Here is the error message I get in the api response,

"User is not enrolled in message 'confluence-onboarding-space-page-v2'" with status code 409

Ben Miller January 20, 2021

New to confluence and just wrote a page with headings and tried to link to headings. This feature has apparently been removed for some reason. I had to then break the page into child pages (to link to them). This is painful. I imagine breaking part of a page into a child page would be a useful feature. Can you add a feature to make the selection a child page? Even being able to create the child page from within the edit window would help a lot. Perhaps that [new page here] feature that was removed could also help. Create the page and link then it can easily be followed and edited.

Like Marian Vidra likes this
augomat June 25, 2021

Hey Atlassian,

is this feature also coming to server any time soon?

Creating sibling pages for us is by far more the most common use case (vs creating child pages), so this would be highly appreciated. 

Jennifer Flinn November 8, 2021

We'd like to see this on Data Center instances as an option.

David Hurlburt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2024

In my view, there is no "+" next to the "page"

Randy Wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

This doesn't work for me. I often can't find a way to create a child page. In the tree view, there are just page links. Hovering does not show a "+" with the ability to create a child page. There is no such option in the "..." drop-down menu in the upper right of a page. I can't see any way to create a child page.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events