Confluence Cloud and deprecated macros - functionalities removed once again

Bruno Miretti December 24, 2018

Hi all,

We discovered on Saturday morning the Atlassian team has removed a macro we use in our documentation space. We were not informed on this, the support told us to look at this page I share to you in case this could have an impact on your instance:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/we-re-cleaning-up-the-macro-browser-946028471.html

Now they've removed the rollover macro, we are not able to list impacted pages from the "Macro Usage" page, no one in the Atlassian company did think about they could inform their customers before removing a functionality they use. This is absolutely not professional, shame on you Atlassian!

As you can see in the link above, the div and style macros will be removed so no more headings customization, no more workaround with the div macro to add page breaks in the PDF exports, etc...

I don't thank you Atlassian, it's really time for us to abandon this software.

Hope this can help other customers.

3 comments

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2018

I agree that div, span, and style should not be deprecated. At the bottom of the article they encourage you to create a ticket telling them why they should keep the macro. I would encourage you to do that as well.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2018

FYI, it looks like this is the ticket to comment in.

CONFCLOUD-59930

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Bruno Miretti December 24, 2018

Hi, in fact the support team created this one:

CONFCLOUD-65317

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2018

This is why I don't advocate Cloud version for Enterprise user. Server gives you much more control on whether or when to upgrade, plus the ability to generate user macros to fill in holes, or replace deprecated macros if need be.

Like # people like this
Charisma Riley November 5, 2019

So, but here's the thing: It is absolutely unacceptable. These macros pose ZERO security risk, especially embedded into 12+ iframes, as built out in the crazytown Cloud editor. Especially because on-prem do not have this restriction. And ESPECIALLY because Atlassian is removing these features only to re-include them in Premium and NOT removing them from on-prem. Why?? How is Atlassian going to explain to Premium customers that suddenly the DIV, STYLE, and SPAN macros are no longer a security risk (as Atlassian has been spouting ad tedium since announcing their deprecation)?? Because they never were. This was all a ruse to build and sell a new offering that they can make more money from. It is no different than how we can also get much of the feature set back if we buy a Marketplace add-on. Ridiculous. Atlassian, please give us back the features we've been using since the beginning of Cloud; of nothing else, at least DIV, SPAN, and STYLE.

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this
Kelvin A Hill November 5, 2019

@Charisma Riley Where did you find your information that these macros will be retained in the premium version? I have just begun a seven-day trial of Premium Cloud Confluence to check for these macros, but the editor appears identical to the new restricted/bad version.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events