Companion App / Office Connector (Edit in office) - NOT WORKING

Jay Pfeifer January 10, 2022

Hi Community!

I am trying out confluence (free version) for my company to evaluate if we should switch our wiki to confluence.

The Companion App

Before downloading the preview of attached files within a page (not over 'attached files') worked well. But after installing the companion app and still after removing it, the preview on the page is not working anymore.

Office Connector

Then I tried to revert / enable the Office Connector, which is installed but not activated. I followed the instruction on this site ( Configuring the Office Connector | Confluence Data Center and Server 7.15 | Atlassian Documentation ) but I do not get the options to enable it. For me it looks like this (with admin rights) ...

1.PNGAlso as a dark feature ( Enable Edit in Office as a dark feature in Confluence | Confluence | Atlassian Documentation ) it is not working. Here sometimes I get a 404 error or it says I would not have admin rights (which i have).

Could someone please help solving this problem? My company needs to preview office files as well as open them directly to edit them (without the workaround of downloading, editing and uploading again).

Or is enabling Office Connector just possible with a paid version (with admin key)? If yes, I need to be sure it works then before my company buys a paid version of confluence.

Thanks for any ideas!

1 comment

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Jay Pfeifer ,

The Companion App integration will be removed from Confluence Cloud on March 31st. See this post for details: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Removing-the-Companion-app-from-Confluence-Cloud/ba-p/1884657

I believe it is disabled for new instances. 

Furthermore, Edit in Office is only available as another file editing option on Confluence Server/DC. Edit in Office was removed from Confluence Cloud several years ago. 

Regards,
Alex K

Jay Pfeifer January 10, 2022

Thanks for the response. So there is currently no possibility to preview and edit office files directly? Except buying a plugin separately?

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2022

@Jay Pfeifer  For Confluence Cloud, that is correct. 

Jay Pfeifer January 12, 2022

Sorry for asking again..

is it possible to insert a local link of an office file? So of course there will be no preview on the confluence page, but by clicking, the file will directly open with the installed microsoft office software on the computer.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events