Can we upgrade confluence server from 3.5.16 to 6.15.8??

Abhishek B A September 9, 2019

Hi Team,

I have a confluence server 3.5.16 in Server A(This is windows 2008R2 server) , can i install confluence server 6.15.8 in Server B(This is windows 2016R2 server) and move the contents from one server to another as this document suggests https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html .Please suggest what steps to take im new to confluence.

Regards,

Abhishek B A

2 comments

Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2019

Hi @Abhishek B A , 

It's not advised to perform the upgrade from Confluence Server v3.5.16 to 6.15.8 in one hop.

Since the older version of Confluence v3.5.16 uses the wiki markup language and version above 4.3.7 use the XHTML based storage format.

Therefore, you will have to go through multiple hops to perform the Upgrade successfully. 

Ideally, I would suggest to go with 4 hop upgrade.

3.5.16 -> 4.2.7 --> 4.3.7  --> 5.10.x --> 6.15.8

You can refer to this Atlassian KB for migration from wiki markup language to XHTML.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migration-from-wiki-markup-to-xhtml-based-storage-format-255363895.html

Thanks,

Kiran.

Like Abhishek B A likes this
Abhishek B A September 11, 2019

Hi @Kiran Panduga {Appfire}  we'll try the same but we want to move the confluence from Server A to Server B also what do u suggest .....we do the upgrade in Server A(Which has Confluence 3.5.16 in Windows 2008R2) to 6.15.8 and then move it Server B .

Regards,

Abhishek B A

Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Hi @Abhishek B A , 

Yes, Perform the upgrade 3.5.16 -> 4.2.7 --> 4.3.7  --> 5.10.x --> 6.15.8 in Server A and then migrate Confluence v6.15.8 to Server B.

Thanks,

Kiran.

Like Abhishek B A likes this
Abhishek B A September 26, 2019

Hi @Kiran Panduga {Appfire}  , after i upgraded from  3.5.16 -> 4.2.7  when i start confluence im getting the below error for all plugins(below shows only one plugin error) , do you have any suggestions on how to resolve the same .

2019-09-26 05:26:24,306 ERROR [main] [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] deployPluginFromUnit Unable to deploy plugin 'com.atlassian.confluence.extra.widgetconnector', file Unit: D:\confluence\data\bundled-plugins\widgetconnector-2.0.1.jar (1340412696000) java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to create a tracker when osgi is not running

Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2019

Hi @Abhishek B A , 

Looks like Plugin cache issue, can you try cleaning the plugin cache and restart 4.2.7.

Please follow the instructions in this KB article.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-clear-confluence-plugins-cache-297664846.html

Thanks,

Kiran.

Abhishek B A September 26, 2019

@Kiran Panduga {Appfire}  i tried it , its still not working.

Abhishek B A October 3, 2019

Hi @Kiran Panduga {Appfire}   we are getting the following error when we upgraded from 4.3.7 to 5.0.3 it looks like some plugins issue can you pls guide me .I have attached the screen shot for the same .

Also @Kiran Panduga {Appfire} in 3.5/4.2.7/4.3.7/5.0.3 we are not able to find manage add-ons/manage plugins  in admin page .Confluence_Error.PNG

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events