A new way to capture meeting notes

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2018

Hi team,

I'm Avinoam, a product manager on Confluence Cloud, and I wanted to share with you some new things we've got coming out soon that we'd love to get your feedback on.

You may have seen our recent post, "A new way to write blog posts", in which we mentioned that we're making a bunch of improvements to the Confluence editing experience. We're now gradually rolling this out to meeting notes. 

One of the things we hope you'll find useful is "decisions", which help with capturing and going back to key decisions your team is making. Decided to change your standup time? Put it in a decision, then @mention any team members who need to be kept informed and they'll receive a notification.

decisions.png

You'll also notice that, while your text is fixed width (which is far better for readability and ensuring consistency across screens), you can now expand tables or images to a wide or full-width setting in order to display larger quantities of information. These will scale up and down as you change screens, so it won't affect your page layout or alignment regardless of what device your viewing them on.

We've made a lot of other small improvements to get out of your way so you can focus better on your work. We particularly hope you'll like the in-context menus for images, macros and tables.

meetingnotes.gif

We'd received feedback about all the table options in the main toolbar being confusing, so the table options now only appear when you click on a table, and they appear right next to the table. Adding or deleting rows and columns is now done directly from the table. Image and macro options are also in-context, so you'll only see them when you actually need them. 

Lastly, we updated the actual meeting notes template so it's cleaner and prettier.

meetingnotesoverview.png

If you don't have the new meeting notes template on your site, it should arrive in the upcoming weeks.

As mentioned in our recent post, some features are temporarily missing as we rewrite them to be faster and more stable, but they will be back soon. These include pasting links to Confluence pages don't auto set the title, text alignment and indentation, multi-column layouts, setting your image size in pixels, the ability to edit the meeting notes blueprint, explicit image resizing, internationalization, and the inline macro browser. 

We'd really appreciate it if you could leave us some feedback (click the "Feedback" link in the bottom right corner of the page while editing, or comment on this post) - as we rely on that to decide what further changes we need to make. 

We'll be continuing to roll out further improvements to more of your favorite templates before we eventually start rolling out to new pages, and you can find more information about all the changes in our docs.

Thanks!

Avinoam

13 comments

Emily Errico July 31, 2018

I'm not sure if this is true for anyone else, but the images are broken for me.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2018

HI @Emily Errico, sorry to hear the images are broken for you! I tested them and they seem to be working fine so far. Please let me know if this continues.

Have you tried testing them anonymously? They're linked from pug.jire-dev.com, which I don't have access to.

Dan Winkler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2018

Same story with the images for me. Using Chrome, Windows 10.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2018

@Emily Errico @Dan Winkler I just updated the images. Can you verify if you can see the images now?

Yes! Thank you!

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2018

Great! thank you for bringing that up!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2018

I like the new table editor, but that's about it. While it doesn't add anything new I like the way it is layed out. However, I am not thrilled about the centered fixed-width experience. It just looks wonky to me. I also do not like that there are no justification buttons and that page sections have been removed. These are vitally import pieces of the editing experience. Honestly, I cannot say I like the direction the cloud experience is going. I feel like y'all are trying to fix something that isn't broken and in the process you are confusing/alienating your user base.

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
August 2, 2018

Hi @Davin Studer and thank you for the open feedback! Instead of me posting a lengthy reply I thought it would be best to point you to this page which highlights the motivation behind the changes we're making, how we're approaching rolling out these changes and to your main point - which things are missing and planned on coming back soon. Please let me know if you find this helpful and of course if you have any more questions or feedback.

Joshua Haynes August 8, 2018

Honestly we had a template that was working for us.  Your forced change on us severely impacted our business as we all used our customized meeting template.  Here we are now trying to run meetings with customers and our notes for the last few weeks have been completely messed up.  You erased our template and took away our ability to edit your canned one.  The new one is incredibly sluggish, takes about 30 seconds before people can collaborate on it, and crashes often requiring a browser reload for everyone in our company that uses it.  It's barely usable! 

To be 100% real with you, Confluence Cloud feels like we're paying money to be your beta testers. 

Like Bryce Carroll likes this
Emily Errico August 9, 2018

What is a date I can give that the meeting notes template will definitely be updated by? "Upcoming weeks" is not specific enough to prepare when we use meeting notes daily and are used to having them be a specific way.

AM September 20, 2018

With this new ability, How do you make it so that decisions recorded within meeting notes are shown on the Decision Log?  Is there some report macro setting that can show them?  Thank you. 

Like # people like this
Andrew Davis April 2, 2019

Bump

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2019

@Andrew Davis thanks for bumping this!

There a current ticket to track this request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-62245 which I recommend following and upvoting. 

Steve Jordan September 27, 2018

Hate it..

Roland Dähler October 4, 2018

Is there a way to display a separate page with all decisions, as with the tasks?

Like # people like this
Andrew Kendris November 19, 2018

Has there been any progress since the draft of this page?  I've been looking forward to the updates to meeting notes, but my environment is still using the previous version.

Sabrina Santos November 28, 2018

Being able to record decisions into the meeting notes is great! Where do those decisions get stored for the long term? And is there a way to show a report of them all?

Like # people like this
MattD January 25, 2019

Doesn't work on our corporate setup, firewalls, whitelists, citrix desktop, security devices, etc. Comes up but you can edit the title but you can't edit the text, same with the blogs, haven't seen any advisory on how to make it work in the wild. 

Great stuff.

Radhika Admin February 22, 2019

How can we show decisions like tasks so we can see them all at the same time?

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2019

@Radhika Admin great question! that isn't available yet but please track that suggestion and upvote it here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-62245.

Thanks!

Avinoam

Senior Product Manager, Confluence Cloud

Michelle B April 4, 2019

Hi Team 

Can someone advise me what the name of the Discussion topics table is? I'd really like to have this table available for other templates

Gary Webb July 2, 2019

I can't seem to change the date of the meeting to a future date. What am I missing?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events