Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Confluence glossary where you can put letter headings

Hello all,

First off, this absolutely builds on the shoulders of giants. I developed this idea from one I suggested to @Jen in this question/topic:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-to-make-a-glossary-in-Confluence/qaq-p/417091

And in fact that built on something suggested by @Alex O_Donnell in the same place.

Now, this method means you have one term per page. I had forgotten about page name collisions. The glossary I'm managing does not have its own workspace.

Alex's brainstorm

"

1. Definition per page dictionary/encyclopedia.
  2. Make sure each page has an excerpt.
  3. Label/tag each definition page with "glossary"
  4. Create another page which is an index using "content by label" an automatic table of label where the title and excerpt are displayed (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/use-labels-to-organize-your-content-724764874.html)"

Jen's question

"...I don't know how to separate the page index to a specific alphabetical group.  We'd love to use this concept on other Spaces to create a Rolodex in the page menu."

My suggestion

"Could you not use multiple labels, à la :

glossary-a_to_i

glossary-j_to_o

glossary-p_to_z

...so each term-specific page would us one of those three, as appropriate?"

(You would have three Content By Label macros on the index page in this example, by the way).

The light-bulb moment

The glossary I created for the project I'm working on has always been a one-pager. I had put in large single letters in a seriously cursive font, as delineators. Rendered:

old_gloss_example.png

I thought: I want to put better letter-heading graphics on the glossary index page. How to have them there in the first place, though?

So:

• Each term has two labels on its page: "glossary," and "glossary-x" where x is the first letter of the first word.
  • On the index page, you have a Content By Label macro for each letter.
  • Each of the Content By Labels picks up only one of the "glossary-x" labels.

Why "glossary" as a second label? I wanted to have a LiveSearch macro on the glossary index page, as well. It picks up the "glossary" label. 

I created the letter-heading graphics I wanted to use, and here's part of how the rendered glossary index page looks:

new_gloss_example.png

Unrendered, here's one letter heading graphic and Content By Label macro, the latter not opened for editing:

letter-heading_plus_macro_closed.png

And here's the macro, opened for editing:

macro_opened.png

And that's really the whole recipe. If anyone's not 100% clear on how this works, please reply here, and I'll do my best.

Best,
Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek / Montreal

3 comments

Alex O'Donnell October 15, 2019

Pat,

glossary-x is just a wonderful addition. Thanks, it's one of those "Oh yeah, why didn't I see that  moments".

It's a discipline you'll want from day one, I don't think anyone wants to fix a few hundred glossary entries in one go (unless they have an intern to do it for them).

Cheers

Alex

Like # people like this
Shayel Kellerman January 28, 2020

That is a great solution and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing!
Is there any way to avoid showing the empty macro (Content by label - There is no content with the specified labels) for letters with no entries?
image.png

Sonia Sánchez Montero February 17, 2020

I've also struggled with creating a glossary, and how to group the entries in alphabetical order.

1.  I created a space for the glossary only.

2. I created a page per glossary entry, and tag it as glossary-x for the right letter.

3. As Patrick suggested, I added a content by level entry on the overview page, but entering 26 Content by Level macros was taking too long.

So instead, I am using the Page Index macro

which indexes all the child pages in the space. It contains 2 sections: the first section shows the letter and how many items are contained in that letter, and the first section, which lists each item under each letter with a bit of an excerp.2020-02-17_15h41_04.png

Advantages: It does exactly what it needs to do, which is order all the entry items per letter.

Disadvantages: you can't modify the layout, which looks messy in my opinion, and you can't even remove / adapt the original macro text:  "Space Index" .

You can't choose how many columns

You can't decide if you just want the glossary entry, or glossary entry  + excerpt

You can't add more space between the first and the second section,

I am hoping that by adding more terms there will be less letters without terms and it would look better, but it's just a pitty you have no parameters to choose how  you want it to display.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events