How to make a glossary in Confluence

I have a glossary with 150 terms, with more to come. My current setup is OK, but I'm looking around to see if there's a better way. What do you think of my options? Anything better to suggest?

Current situation: one enormous table

In my enormous table, each term has a definition plus other information. The Definition cell includes an anchor, which lets me make each link in the See Also column jump straight to the row that defines the related term.

Limitations of the huge single table:

• The page is enormous, and will only get bigger.
  • I'd like to be able to show these definitions in other pages, but I don't have the Multi-Excerpt plugin.

Other possibilities

• Create lots of little pages (one per definition). Display them using Page Properties macro. Use a single Excerpt on each little page to let me drop definitions onto other pages.

I've baked my own index page to test this, and it works fine. However, I cannot link to a particular row in the table generated by the PP macro, which breaks my See Also links.

• Buy the Glossary plugin. The reviews of this plugin are not particularly favourable.

• Keep using my massive table, and buy the Multi Excerpt plugin to allow me to drop definitions into other pages.
    How scalable is this plugin?
    Could it cope with 200+ excerpts on a single page?

Example of my one enormous four-column table:

Term

Definition

See also

Organisation

ACI

Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) is a data-centre focused technology platform from Cisco that allows the network fabric to be managed as a whole rather than each individual device.

More: Cisco: Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) 
More: Techtarget: How Cisco's Application Centric Infrastructure differs from SDN

Related:

Cisco

AS

Within the Internet, an autonomous system (AS) is a collection of connected Internet Protocol (IP) routing prefixes 
under the control of one or more network operators on behalf of a single administrative entity or domain that presents a common, clearly defined routing policy to the Internet.

More: Wikipedia: Autonomous system (Internet)

Related:

General

ASR

Cisco has a range of aggregation services routers (ASRs). These are typically used at the internet edge for enterprise networks and service providers.

Related:

Cisco

Azure

Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing platform for building, deploying and managing applications and services through a global network of Microsoft-managed data centres.

Related:

Third Party

Thanks,

Melanie

1 answer

Hi Melanie,

We have a glossary of over 6000 terms and growing, each on a separate page (one per definition). It is open to our company of almost 8000 employees. As a side note, it also comes built-in with a prominent search field on the landing page and the as-you-type hits are just from that space.  And an option we like (not required): a built-in Index (entries are sorted and can be paged through A, B, C, pages which display hyperlinked, alphabetized titles of entries which some find useful to be able to scan what's in there - i.e. they may not think of searching but like to discover by browsing).   

It was done under contract with a noted Atlassian Expert and I understand will soon be on the Marketplace.  If curious to hear more (please understand, I'm an Atlassian customer and don't work for the third-party company either; willing to discuss/screenshare what our solution looks like), feel free to contact me at tomcrespi@gmail.com 

We have had many employees contribute to our glossary by the way - it's by far our most contributed-to Confluence space out of the few hundred we have.

Tom

Thanks very much, Tom. I will indeed contact you to find out more.

I also would like to see more, so I will contact you. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

974 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you