Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's New in Confluence Cloud – November 2019 Edition

188 comments

Rory Apperson November 18, 2019

I've tried to re-create it 3 times and when I refresh the page it's gone again.

Tom Crowley November 18, 2019

Comment from @Rory Apperson :

How about how they severely crippled your ability to insert links to other pages?  You can now only easily insert links for pages you "recently visited" which for me is a small, small percentage.  What used to be easily accomplished by hitting Ctrl + k and searching by label, title, or content in a convenient interface is now only possible by opening a new tab, going to the main search area, locating the page, copying the link, going back to the other tab, pasting the link, and setting it's link text.  Oh, and there's a bug when the link gets created where it doesn't take your link text, it chooses its own.  You have to edit it again to make it uses your preferred link text.

Oh and if you want to easily create that link again next time?  Copying the link as I described above is not good enough!  Make sure to actually browse to that page so it will show up in your "recently visited" list.  Please don't expect that to be ready in the list, though, if you go back to the tab where you were editing!  No, you have to close all your browser windows and open a new one and go back into Confluence before you can do that, silly!

Please vote for this issue!  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65363?filter=91857

Thank you @Tom Crowley  I had tried editing it to remove the filter off the end of the link because some people on my team said the link didn't work for them.  That's when the page disappeared.

Here is the link without the filter: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65363

Lance Bryant November 18, 2019

I would rather Atlassian just fixed the big, basic and really annoying bugs when editing pages than adding these new cosmetic features.  How about fixing:

Table Handling
1) Sometimes pasting a cell or a row in a table causes all the text to be permanently selected afterwards so you can never select any other text or cells, etc, until you publish the page.
2) Sometimes pasting anything into a cell causes text in adjacent cells to be shuffled one cell to the right, with text from the right-most cell by itself outside the table. Normally, this is fixed when the page is published but it's annoying if I need to edit those cells, too, because the contents are all in the wrong cells.

Paragraph Formatting
1) Sometimes, when applying paragraph formatting such as making the paragraph(s) bullet-points or shifting right or left, it randomly does the same to paragraphs above or below it.
2) Sometimes, when pressing <enter> at the end of a paragraph, there is a bigger or smaller gap between it and the previous paragraph. It is extremely tiresome to change this inter-paragraph spacing difference.

I keep getting asked for feedback and mention these bugs but they never get fixed.

Like # people like this
Kelvin A Hill November 19, 2019

Oh, my! Yesterday, I reported the following:

"Try this for starters. The comments box only offers centre alignment for images. Want a different alignment? Copy a left-aligned image from the main contents of the page and paste into the comments box, but DON'T expect the resulting image to be the same size."

I have no idea whether it is a coincidence, but the ability to retain the alignment of an image copy/pasted into a comments field (and also into table cells) has miraculously disappeared overnight after I reported it as a workaround.

Words fail me. The astonishing bugs remain, but the workarounds are systematically removed. Someone has their priorities messed up.

Tom Crowley November 19, 2019

The obsession with centre-aligning things is a bit mystifying anyway.

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this

Selfies are far better when they're centre aligned. Atlassian clearly believes that's all we're using Confluence for.

Like # people like this
Johannes Kann November 19, 2019

:no-emoji:?

Mykyta Morozov November 19, 2019

Cool! Just an awesome, that you've added emoji. This is exactly what I need to write much better documentation and put the pressure down on working with long-termed projects. This is a much better feature rather than a stupid auto collection for decisions made on a meeting. Just a simple emoji will raise up my mood after spending another 3-5 minutes on doing that manually after each meeting during the day! 

Thanks again for all the effort you put in being the best and bugless software! 

Like # people like this
Rory Apperson November 19, 2019

Clearly Atlassian wants Confluence to become more like Facebook and less like the amazing documentation and collaboration tool it has been for the 12+ years I've been using it.  Who needs solid features like advanced link search when you can have emojis??

Like # people like this

Indeed

rofl.png

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 19, 2019

@colinb it does look like that tag view only has one post in it. I think you'd be best off creating a search alert, which generates an RSS feed. Refine your search and then check the right hand sidebar for the RSS feed. I did one for "what's new" but you might want to add Confluence Cloud or other terms.  Hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.49.22 AM.png

Like Jessica Taylor likes this
craig.anderson November 19, 2019

I remember when this product was actually usable by technically-capable outfits.    Now it's been dumbed down into some weird shell of its former self.    

[Disparaging language about our product team removed, please review our voice and tone guide - Monique]

Like # people like this
James Kinoshita November 19, 2019

@Rory AppersonI see 3 copies of your comment. Not sure why you or others can't see them.

James Kinoshita November 19, 2019

@Lance Bryantthanks for mentioning some of the annoying bugs in the editor. To be honest, if I mentioned the numerous bugs in the editor I've encountered, especially with mixed text style formatting, unordered lists, and tables, I would have no other life and my comment would be hundreds of words long, if not thousands.

This doesn't even count the numerous times I get the "something wrong happened when trying to edit" error or the "something wrong happened when trying to submit" errors I get frequently. I wonder if the non-Cloud versions is much better, though. I'm guessing many customers haven't used other types of wikis and will pay the devil's price for a GUI editor.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 19, 2019
Rory Apperson November 19, 2019

Here's a tip: you can still copy old pages and then the copies use the old editor with all its glorious features (including advanced link search).  You can then rename it, move it, delete the old stuff, and start "from scratch".  I don't know how long that will be possible, but obviously they have to support rendering content created in the old editor in perpetuity....obviously, right?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 19, 2019

@Rory Apperson I think your posts were caught in the spam filter but should be visible now. I did delete one that was disparaging our product team.  @craig.anderson I also edited a line out of your post for the same reason. 

Before posting, please review our voice and tone guide.  Feedback and critique is welcome, and you'll see it above, but attacking members of our product team is against our guidelines and won't fly here.  

Like Jessica Taylor likes this
Jean-Michel Decombe November 19, 2019

What I am interested in are the following features:

1. I would like the ability to select some text, then apply a popup text to it. Just like you can select text then apply a link to some external resource to it, turning it into an anchor, I would like to be able to enter text instead of a link, possibly rich Confluence text in the future. When users then hover on the text to which a popup was assigned, a popup frame would appear with text that they can read. The popup would disappear as soon as they move the mouse outside of the marked text. Use case... you have a complex document but you want to keep it simple and highly readable, so you add extra details on various parts of the text, that can be accessed by hovering and seeing the details. For example, you have a long hierarchical bullet point list of requirements, where each requirement is a simple one-line sentence, but details on the requirement can be seen by hovering, if desired. An alternative to that would be to make it possible to have expansible/collapsible text at any level of depth in a hierarchical outline. Right now, this is only possible as a top level paragraph. Such features would make documents more approachable and readable, with details on demand.

2. I would like people to be able to comment not just on the page, but on any selection in the page as well, thus creating threads of discussions. Think Google Docs. Since the commenting feature is limited to the document as a whole, at the bottom of the page instead of in context of some selection, I see people copying the Confluence page in a Google Docs document so that they can leverage contextual threads of comments. This is a waste of time and a duplication of information across disparate systems, which is not great.

Thanks for listening.

Tom Crowley November 20, 2019

@Jean-Michel Decombe You can leave inline comments on text. Select any text outside of a macro and a comments window appears. It's not perfect: You can't see these comments when editing the page and you can't inline comment on most(?) macros, but the feature you're requesting in point 2 is available.

Like Jean-Michel Decombe likes this
Tom Crowley November 20, 2019
Like # people like this
Kelvin A Hill November 20, 2019

@Jean-Michel Decombe. If you read through the posts, you'll find that the genuine users are hugely frustrated by the removal of important functionality on which we have built our wikis for many years—and we are in disbelief and despair that some key elements of remaining functionality are littered with bugs.

Go ahead and ask for new features if you wish, but don't expect anyone to listen to you unless it's something that is already in the pipeline.

And don't criticise the product development team; you are only permitted to say "thank you."

Like Bob Sovers likes this
Kelvin A Hill November 20, 2019

@craig.anderson Although your "disparaging" comment about product management was redacted, it was delivered to everyone by email. [ROFL emoji]

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events