Introducing Table Visualization! Quickly turn Confluence tables into compelling charts

82 comments

Tosin Ojikutu July 4, 2022

Simply! Exemplary!

Thank you team :) 

Nicolas Schwotzer July 4, 2022

I like the table visualization very much. Thank you. However, when using a //date makro the graph will not be displayed correctly. To make this work, I need to modify all dates. Is this known? Or is there even a reason for that?

Like Alex Barnaba likes this
Alex Barnaba July 5, 2022

I have the same problem, the visualization is cool but it does not work with the //date macro :(

Sam Ugulava
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2022

Hi everyone!

I’m the Product Manager who worked on bringing this feature to life. Table Visualization has been a highly requested feature and our team is so happy to see that so many of you have found our MVP to be useful.

I’ve reviewed and catalogued all of your comments, and there are a few specific questions that I want to answer:

1. Will this work with dynamic tables (page properties reports, etc.)?

1. Dynamic tables are extensions, which means they don’t have any referentiality attached. We’ll make a note of this feedback and see if this is requested by more users.

2. Is there a way to hide the data so the chart is only visible?

1. We don’t have a direct way to hide table data, however, you can cut and paste the table into an expand on the same page as a work around. We planned to build this into the initial MVP, but decided that it wasn’t worth delaying the feature release when there was a viable workaround.

3. Is it possible to switch the X and Y axis?

1. For now, we do not support switching the x-axis and y-axis. I understand it’s annoying to switch the column data to be row data and vice versa, and I’m taking a note that this has been reported by users. To give you the full picture, we made the tradeoff to ship the feature without this functionality so we could get the MVP into customers' hands faster.

4. Do we have features for analyzing what-if scenarios? Control charts?

1. At the moment, we support line, bar, and pie charts. We will continue to gather interest in additional chart types.

In addition, I noted quite a few feature requests, including supporting additional data types like dates and Jira issues, connecting outside data sources, and basic table functionality and nesting.

As a PM, I constantly use tables to share information with my team and stakeholders. I want you to know that our our long-term goal is to make Confluence tables a more powerful tool for gathering, communicating, and presenting all kinds of data.

@Divya Sriram is another Product Manager on my team who is leading the effort on table enhancements and can keep you all updated on our progress as we continue to invest in this area.

Like # people like this
isaiah berg July 7, 2022

Thank you @Sam Ugulava and @Divya Sriram - as someone who loves working with tables, I just want to echo some of the other comments around the ability to do more powerful filtering and formatting.

One of the tables that I commonly work with has multiple data types (numbers, text, dates, priority, status, screenshots, etc.) and with the only filtering being Ascending or Descending in alphabetical order, it's often difficult to zero in on particular rows or intersecting trends (e.g., Can I look at High Priority rows *AND* Complete status rows only?). 

More dynamic filtering (akin to the filtering I can easily and quickly do on my keyboard in an Excel spreadsheet) with a chart that responds dynamically to that filtering...that would be a powerful visualization combo!  

Like # people like this
Sundaramoorthy Natarajan July 7, 2022

Wooooww.. way to go...

Sundaramoorthy Natarajan July 7, 2022

The step images are not loading it seems... am i the one who is experiencing that?

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2022

Echoing @isaiah berg - it would also be nice if the alpha sort behaved more predictably, especially where links are concerned. They don't seem to alphabetize by the display text, and when links are mixed with plain text in a column, it's pure chaos.

marvin.edelkamp July 14, 2022

Great to hear! 

Will it also soon be possible to filter the columns in a table? This would not only replace many use cases where we need to link to external excel files, but it would also make the visualization more powerful. 

Like Alex Barnaba likes this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2022

It's been over a month!

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

Paul Douglas July 25, 2022

hey @Sam Ugulava - still not showing on our instance - do we have a way of adding this for us? thanks

Ljupcho Blazheski August 16, 2022

@Jose Ariel Laureano Ramirez 's comment is of interest for me too.
'This is great but does it work with values that are embedded in a JIRA query?'

Can you at least provide a way to call the Jira API from the Confluence page and insert the numbers in the table that way?

Paul Douglas August 16, 2022

Hi, we still don't see this feature on our instance (we have an old on demand cloud name) - can anyone point us in the right direction?

Tosin Ojikutu August 24, 2022

Hi @Paul Douglas It could be because you're on an old on-demand cloud name. Perhaps you may need to upgrade. Is that a possibility?

Paul Douglas August 24, 2022

@Tosin Ojikutu - hey there - we're already on cloud premium - have been for a decade - we sometimes get issues where old ondemand names are not catered for by developers.

we're on a .jira.com domain - any chance of catering for that?

i can forward our full jira instance name if so

Like Tosin Ojikutu likes this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

@Paul Douglas, I'm not an Atlassian know it all but your domain name seems weird. Our cloud premium subscription is hosted on an atlassian.net domain.

That said, I'm going to go check my confluence to see if this is really up and running now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Paul Douglas @Danno - Jira.com is one of the original places that Cloud was first implemented.  Some of the early adopters may still be on .jira.com.  I don't remember if they were actually Atlasian-hosted server instances, or the Cloud you get from a site on atlassian.net, but I thought they had all been migrated to atlassian.net.  I guess not!

Check the "help" menu - does it give you an "about" option or a version?  If either, what do they tell us?

Like # people like this
Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

Will this be able to count and handle non numeric data? I'm looking for a quick way to chart out staffing within a department via role and full time/contract status. Is there a way to do this with this tool? For example I would like to use table visualizations to use the following data to show a breakdown of persons from a department, the breakdown of the total count of emergency staffing, and be able to make a count of a specific role. Right now this does not compile within Confluence. 

Emergency Staffing
NoDepartmentRole
1FireFighter
2FireFighter
3FireChief 
4PoliceOfficer
5PoliceOfficer
6PoliceOfficer
7PoliceOfficer
8PoliceChief 
9MedicalEMT
10MedicalEMT
11MedicalEMT

Answered: I actually answered my own question, but think it's relevant to put here. I was actually able to get the charts to graph non numerical data by including a numbered column that I built in an excel file and imported. The No, (number), column in this case is not the numbered column option built within confluence, but was manually inserted in an external program. Counting on the No column now compiles the graphs. 

Actually the No column does compile, but it does so incorrectly. The workaround here was to create a column, I entitled weighted, and append a 1 to each row. 

I have started a community post about defects with this system here

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2022

Hi commenters, I'm Matt with K15t and I'm working on a video about table visualization in Confluence. Since this is so new on the scene, I don't have the typical wealth of examples to pull from here at K15t.

I'd love to know how your team is using table visualization and why. And of course, any pictures you can share would be fun, since charts are so visual.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Paul Douglas September 8, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Danno 

Yip - spot on - early adopter of the 'on demand' version a decade ago - havent been able to change our name yet to the more accepted .atlassian domain.... some apps aren't compatible with the name change for migrating... unless anything has changed on that?

thanks for your help - I do have the charts now

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2022

I just commented on an issue on @Matt Reiner _K15t_ table visualization discussion page about pdf export not working for this feature. Is it just me or do I need to raise an issue with Atlassian?

Mayank Gupta September 13, 2022

After spending a lot of time, nothing is displayed in the chart section.

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2022

Agreed. This should be able to perform basic math functions. 

LM October 26, 2022

This is a good feature, but I would have preferred more basic functionality of tables to be rolled out first:

• Formulas (especially totals)
  • The ability to set column widths as desired...and have those columns STAY those widths (as percentages if not pixels) when the left navbar is moved to view more or less of the page or the navbar itself.
  • The ability to turn the horizontal scrollbar on and off.
  • The ability to scroll the page to the right (beyond the page "margin") in order to view tables with many columns without scrunching the content in the table cells.  You know, like MediaWiki allows you to do.
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2022

🆕🎥 Hey everybody, I wanted to share K15t's latest video all about chart best practices.

I counted it up, an I think there are 20 tips in here, so I hope it's helpful to you!

Check out even more Confluence best practices on Rock the Docs.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events