Table Visualization Issues/Defects

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

I'm starting this post to document defects with Confluence table visualization. This is coming from trying to use this tool using non numerical data for dashboarding purposes. This is an example data set that I have made up for testing purposes. 

Emergency staffing table: 

NumberDepartmentRole
1FireFirefighter 
2FireFirefighter 
3FireChief 
4PoliceOfficer
5PoliceOfficer
6PoliceOfficer
7PoliceOfficer
8PoliceChief 
9MedicalEMT
10MedicalEMT
11MedicalEMT

Initially I was not able to graph this data until I added a number column. Once I did that I had some success and am documenting the findings here. 

1. The department and role data is being aggregated and has correct labeling when shown on a page, but the behavior changes to a non aggregated legend when a graph is placed in a layout macro. The top image shows the chart in the page, and the bottom image shows the same chart pasted into an arrange. Chart in page.pngChart in arrage.png

Partially answered: It looks like the non aggregated legend becomes visible  based on screen size. When the minimum screen size threshold is not met  the chart defaults to showing a non aggregated legend. Demonstration. 

2. When placing this chart in an arrange macro the clickable show legend does not change the display of the legend. I believe that control should be able to affect the chart regardless of where the chart is placed. 

3. I'd like to see pie charts show a count or percentage. A percentage with this data set is helpful, but may not be the best for this or other data types. In this case I'd like to see a count of individuals instead of their percentage of the population.   I'd like to see a count, percentage, or both in the chart as an option. 

4. The bar chart data is not rendering appropriately.  Using the data above as an  example the medical data is being counted at 40.  I have included a manual count with the data set above in red.  

Bar Chart data.png

@Reni Carlson @Sam Ugulava   Please have a look at the above, and let me know if there is a better or more helpful place for these items related to confluence chart visualization. I am excited about the ability for this tool to provide fast and accurate reporting. 

Partialy Solved: I have partially solved the issue by adding a count column and appending a 1 for every row. Oddly if I used the Number column the chart compiled but the data shown was wrong. 

No

Department

Role

Count

Fire

Fire Fighter

Fire

Fire Fighter

Fire

Fire Chief 

Police

Officer

Police

Officer

Police

Officer

Police

Officer

Police

Police Chief 

Medical

EMT

Medical

EMT

Medical

EMT

Medical

EMT

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Nate Dickinson ,

To count non numeric tabular data (similar to pivot tables in Excel) and then visualize it, you may use our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app.

As your hosting is Cloud, the first step will be to insert the Table Toolbox macro and place your source table (manually created or, for example, coming from the Page Properties Report macro) inside its body.

The next step is to create a sequence "source table <- Pivot Table <- Chart from Table" inside the Table Toolbox shell. The Pivot Table macro will aggregate your data and the Chart from Table macro will visualize the result table.

And here is another option coming with our app - you may embed our Table Spreadsheet on the page and have the Excel functionality in Confluence within this one macro.

Note that the add-on is a paid one, but for Cloud 1-10 users it's free.

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

Thank you. We already have this toolset. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events