Introducing Confluence Smart Chips in Google Docs!

Hi Confluence Community friends! Julien here from the Product Partnerships team at Atlassian. Our teams have been collaborating closely with Google Workspace and we’re thrilled to announce the integration of Confluence (and Jira) with Google Smart Chips! This integration provides an enhanced experience within Google Docs (and soon sheets and slides) so that when users paste a Confluence URL, instead of displaying a long URL, users can see the page title and additional information about the linked Confluence page such as the author, the first 500 characters on the page, and when it was last updated. If you’re familiar with our Smart Links functionality, you can think of Smart Chips as the same thing, but within Google Docs.

WmC_M-_hwGL1k9k3VMzAS9bqVmeAmqH0V5SClSKHxcO_0uFjf5EGjdzBh6WL8q8-Y374204jocwn74Ru-1byORbOcdPsZzWCpMBcnWufocHSXQAR5ufEjv3QQtXo1TKpUQtZby-zHJ7H9BtDLjGEMYAgBg=nw.png

With Smart Chips, Google Docs users now have a way to quickly understand what Confluence pages are being referenced within their docs. This means that users no longer need to switch between different tools or lose their focus when reviewing Google Docs.

Setting up the integration

The first time you paste a Confluence or Jira link, Google will prompt you to install the Atlassian Smart Chip add-on. You can also install it directly from the Workspace Marketplace here.

image-20230816-211804.png

Don’t forget, after you have installed the integration, you will need to authorize the add-on to connect to your Confluence (and/or Jira) instance.

Using the integration

Google automatically detects if you’ve pasted a Confluence or Jira link, and prompts users to convert the URL to a Smart Chip by pressing the tab button.

Smart chips (1).gif

Try out the new Google Smart Chip experience today! We’re looking forward to your thoughts - feel free to leave any feedback or questions in the comments section below!

7 comments

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 29, 2023

Ahhhh, Google Docs has added the chips to the Confluence content dip! Great work team, this is a fantastic addition!
Of course, we had to make a short video to celebrate and share with excited teammates:
https://youtube.com/shorts/tNj_RQ0guTM?si=eWUDk0X0NfqUe5Od

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2023

Yeah!

giphy

Darwin Fernández
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 21, 2023

👏👏👏

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2023

Chip, dips, I want salsa now! 🌮

... links from my Confluence Cloud instance aren't turning into Smart Chips, anything I need to do to enable this? 🫠

Ryan Beesley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 6, 2023

I was excited to use this new feature as I'm writing a Google Doc and wanted to link to pages I keep on Confluence. From what I can tell, this only works with Confluence Cloud. It makes sense as Google Docs probably needs to recognize the URL. It would be great if that was something which could be configured in the extension.

Julien Bassan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2024

@Dave Liao try hitting tab after you paste a Confluence link.  Otherwise try uninstalling and reinstalling the Smart Chip App.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2024

@Julien Bassan - thank you Julien!

Ha, reading is fundamental - totally forgot to install the Smart Chips app in my Google Workspace instance. 😅

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events