PDF Export Improvements

Hey all! I’m Frank, a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. I’m here to share some impactful changes we’ve made around our PDF export capabilities.

We’ve heard your feedback around common issues with generating PDFs, and spent the last couple of months tackling them. To get a sense of what’s changed, here are just some of the fixes we made:

Using layouts now no longer causes truncation on the sides of the page!

image-20210201-012607.png

Info/Note/Warning/Error/Success Panels now have the correct styling!

image-20210201-011657.png

Status macros are now the correct width & style!

image-20210201-011511.png

Images within tables no longer expand in size and squish other columns!

image-20210201-011032.png

The icon in the Decision macro is now the correct size!

image-20210201-035502.png

And the list goes on:

• Icons within the Jira Macro are now able to be exported  🖼

• Non-custom emojis are now able to be exported  🙂

• Links are now blue instead of black 🔗

• Table headers now export as the correct color :table:

• Bullet points within layouts no longer bleed between columns 📝 

• and much more!

giphy 

Thank you to everyone who has been commenting & voting on tickets - it really helps us understand which issues to prioritize. We’ve got more improvements in the works, but by resolving these problems first, we hope your PDFs are in a much more usable state!

Cheers,

Frank

12 comments

Anıl Yavuz February 1, 2021

Hello Frank,

They are really great improvements, thanks for that.

After which Datacenter relaese will we be able to use these changes ?

Best Regards.

Anıl.

Julien ANQUETIL February 11, 2021

I was hopping for Fixing this issue : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68625 but unfortunately we have to wait for some years...

marcin_rosiek February 11, 2021

Do you have support for exporting national characters to PDF. I have a text on the page in polish language and export skips those chars.

Like Adrian Jaskulski likes this
Aida Selimova February 11, 2021

It´s like a miracle, just yesterday I was struggling whole night with the image size in column. Fuf!
Thank you, guys! These are great details that make us happier!

Like Terri Steer likes this
DO Etela February 11, 2021

This is a welcome development. 

Gilles Fischer February 11, 2021

Great to see! We are on Cloud and still have some major issues with the PDF export. For instance, the screenshot on the left is from Confluence, all images in the table have the same size. The screenshot on the right is from the PDF export and they are all of different sizes. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 11.06.04 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-12 at 11.05.49 am.png

Philip February 11, 2021

Shoot I would like it the ability to embed Macros in each other like we used to be able to. Not being able to do this is severely crippling my ability to create content.

Like Susanne Ertle likes this
Jeremy Hranko February 13, 2021

Anxiously awaiting a solution to [CONFCLOUD-70905] Size of PDF upon export has increased

These underlying changes have resulted in a technical reference work that we had maintained in Confluence to grow from an export 5.5MB to over 1.4GB, rendering it undistributable. Not to mention the loss of formatting suffered by dropping DIV support. 

Marie Curtis February 18, 2021

This is great news and something that I have been waiting for for some time :) 

Peter Fjelsten February 25, 2021

As mentioned here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-articles/What-s-New-in-Confluence-Cloud-February-2021-Edition/ba-p/1596258 I am not seeing an changes to image handling in the PDF export - they're still waaay too wide

Sonu Bhatia February 26, 2021

Are these improvements released to production at this time?

Sonu Bhatia February 26, 2021

What about fixing the truncating issue when exporting a wide table in Confluence to PDF?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events