Enhanced Slack and Microsoft Teams Apps for Confluence!

Now more than ever, we hear distributed and centralized teams are eager to replace manual tasks with automation between tools driving faster communication and collaboration. We’re happy to share, this is exactly what our chat integrations offer. The Product Integrations team at Atlassian is going full speed ahead this summer and has revamped the most popular chat platform apps. Whether you’re using Slack or Microsoft Teams, we have fresh new features you can start using today, for FREE!

Create Confluence pages inside Microsoft Teams

The Microsoft Teams for Confluence Cloud app lets conversation flow in Teams while leveraging the collaborative editor and flexible organization of Confluence. Install the app to capture rich meeting notes in the Teams meeting window, automatically format and share notes pages, & search Confluence right from the Teams chat. See how you can unlock a more open, cohesive flow of information within your team.

Curious to learn more about Microsoft and Atlassian have leveraged integrations like this to embrace the new era of hybrid work? Join us August 17th for an inside look at our own internal strategies, followed by actionable tools (including a demo of the Confluence for Teams app) and strategies you can bring back to your own team to turn hybrid work into a strength. Register now

Install the new Confluence for Teams app

Get your Confluence notifications in Slack instead of email

Ditch your inbox! We know email is hard to completely replace, you can now stay focused and avoid context switching by keeping your notifications in one centralized location. Enable personal notifications in Slack so you never miss an important update and get notified for activity relevant to you. Filter your notifications so you only get pings for the things you care about, and comment, like, or watch pages right from Slack, without needing to open a new window.

Install Confluence Cloud for Slack app

Already have the app? Just enter /confluence notify in any Slack channel to get started!

18797aa6-6110-41d4-8d9f-bc828c36aa83.png

For more tips on how to collaborate better as a team, learn how you can perfect asynchronous teamwork, how you can have more effective meetings, and about the 3 team collaboration mistakes you can’t afford to make.

We hope you enjoy these new integrations. As always, leave any comments or questions below!

18 comments

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021

Hi @Brittany Sudlow , I have registered for the event to know about how the platforms integration, features included and access level.

Like # people like this
Nemo August 10, 2021

Hi, I've been getting confluence notifications in Slack for almost a year now. Is this a new function?

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2021

Hi @Nemo ,

While there's been Confluence connectivity with Slack for a long time, recently the app got a major upgrade that added some helpful features. Previously the app would only send a notification to a channel if someone created a page or added a comment. Now, it can send you personal notifications when someone mentions you anywhere (which can pretty much replace emails from Confluence for most people!). You can also Like, Watch, Comment, and more from directly inside Slack.

Like # people like this
Beki Liford August 11, 2021

Would love if this page had a link to the release notes for the new Confluence/Slack integration

Like # people like this
Martina Schmidt August 12, 2021

This sounds interesting. I have a question regarding the Teams integration. We often have Teams Meetings with customers who do not have access to our Confluence sites and who do not have a Confluence User licence. Would they be able to see the Confluence content regardless and would that count towards our licences? 

Like Christine Zimmerman likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2021

@Brittany Sudlow - thanks for sharing! If we have feedback on the Confluence Cloud Teams and Slack apps, where's the best way to submit those suggestions and bugs?

David Michelson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2021

@Nemo Hi Nemo, yes this is a new functionality! 

To re-word your question: How is this different from /confluence connect (the feature that has eisted for years)? Instead of having to pick certain pages / spaces to subscribe to, this feature lets you to get all notifications relevant to you (e.g. when you’re mentioned anywhere). Think of it as a replacement for email/in-product notifications.

David Michelson
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2021
David Michelson
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2021

@Dave Liao On the Slack side, the best way to submit feedback is to just type in /confluence feedback in Slack! You'll be able to fill out a simple feedback form right in Slack.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Laura
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 16, 2021

@Martina Schmidt Yes, even those who are Confluence users will be able to see the notes in a Teams meeting. 

Like Frank Limmer likes this
Laura
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 16, 2021

@Dave Liao in the Teams app, you can give feedback by navigating to the Confluence bot and typing /feedback. We keep an eye on the suggestions we get and receive them in real time! 

@David Michelson can speak to how best to deliver feedback on the Slack integration.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Michiel Schuijer August 17, 2021

Again something just for Confluence/Jira Cloud customers. What about your loyal server/data center customers?

The apps don't seem to have had many updates and certainly no new features in more then a year now :(

Looks like all the attention, love and care goes to your cloud offerings only ...

Like Bernhard Breit likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2021

@Laura - yep, David mentioned the mechanism to me! 🙂

Like Laura likes this
Bernhard Breit August 17, 2021

If you integrate Confluence with Microsoft Teams, do you then also partake in all the cross-site-tracking and other general "spying on the customer"-business Microsoft has recently rightly been criticized for?

Martina Schmidt August 18, 2021

@[deleted] is there a "not" missing in your answer? I was asking about third party non-confluence users. 

The examples during the event and in the post all refer to in house meetings between colleagues of the same company. What I am asking is what happens if the meeting is with a third party not connected to the company and with no access to the company Confluence build. Can the integration still be used without the third party people requiring user licences? Will their access to Confluence be limited to the notes displayed in the teams app?

It would be helpful to get a little more information on the data security aspect of it as well as well: if the meeting is recorded, will the notes be recorded also? Will third party meeting members be able to access the Confluence page through the meeting notes even after the meeting is archived?

Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
August 18, 2021

@Bernhard Breit Atlassian does not engage in any "cross-site tracking" or "spying" of data for any of our customers. You can read our full Privacy Policy regarding Cloud products here.

The app is responsible for the following and we do ask for permissions before installation:

• Receive messages and data that I provide to it.
  • Send me messages and notifications.
  • Access my profile information such as my name, email address, company name, and preferred language.
  • Receive messages and data that team members provide to it in a channel.
  • Send messages and notifications in a channel.
  • Access this team's information such as team name, channel list and roster (including team member's names and email addresses) - and use this to contact them​.
Miranda Tyler September 4, 2021

Awwww,

I am truly sad I did not see this until now. I would've loved to attend. Maybe next time!

Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2021

@Martina Schmidt

When external users are added to a Teams meeting, they will show up with “Guest” access in the meeting. External users can interact with the apps but cannot manage which apps are available within the meeting. This means external users can see the Confluence notes in the side panel but if they want to edit those notes, they will need Admin permissions from Microsoft Teams. At the end of the meeting, if a guest user would like to “Publish” the notes to their Confluence site, they will be prompted to log into their Atlassian account. Users do not necessarily need a paid license (they can be on the free plan) but they will need an Atlassian account.

Like Martina Schmidt likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events