Convert any page to a blog in Confluence

47 comments

Nick Beaugié August 6, 2021

Good question!

The basic answer is that I posted some information that I thought was going to be more "temporal", that afterwards I felt should actually be in a "proper page" in my space.

In the end, I moved the contents of the blog post into a new page; and replaced the blog contents with a link to the new page (in case someone was arriving on my blog via a URL).

So, the reason I wanted it was due to a change of my mind in what kind of content it was.

Logi Helgu August 6, 2021

To me you did the right thing...since I like the "historical trace" of the blog post to remain...and a "convert to page" would have removed the blog post.

If things at some time change and what you thought was a temporary blog post is now needed as a page and this feature existed (Blog to Page) then I would always say you should announce that also via a blog post (specially if it's removed)...so I guess I'm stuck with my opposition on the idea of converting blogs to pages (or stuck in the idea that the blog should be a historical overview =)

Nick Beaugié August 6, 2021

A "convert blog to page" feature would have been able to redirect my original blog URL to the page. So, that would not have been the issue you describe.

Anyway, as much as I'd like this feature, I'd rather Atlassian focus their efforts on the sucky table editor in Cloud; or allow me to put images inside a "Note" macro (or allow us to have a "Panel" macro like in on prem).

Logi Helgu August 9, 2021

Ah...not I give you...given that the feature would keep the URL and redirect...that to me is still almost the same as replacing the blog with a link to the page ;) and I agree with you...there are many features that deserve more attention than this for now <3

lin August 20, 2021

Hi there, I'd love to have this feature. I post technical wiki page on internal wikisite. And would like to convert some of them to blogpost format and can be published on external sites. This way we can easily share knowledges w/ customers. Do we have a timeline for this feature?

Ethan Murray September 24, 2021

I'm just sloppy and keep accidentally creating my blog posts as wiki pages. Would love this feature. Not finding it in Confluence Cloud though yet... ?

Logi Helgu September 28, 2021

This was rolled out some time ago...strange if you don't see it already.

But there is also a new feature in the left side menu to create content with a + sign...right to the "Blog" there is the + sign to create a blog...a great addition that solves the issue of accidentally creating pages for me (but I do love the feature when I want to work on the pages somewhere and then covert to blog post...and not have them in draft mode while working on it =)

Logi Helgu September 28, 2021

Last comment should have linked to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-articles/Create-Content-Where-It-Belongs/ba-p/1728301 (that was the addition of the + action for creating blog posts)

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

I have a Page, that was meant to be a Page, and was never meant to be a Blog. However, at some point it mysteriously became a Blog, and when the time limit was up it became invisible. Not sure who did it or when or why.

It was a very important Parent Report Page, and needs to be back where it belongs. But there is no Convert Blog to Page option, so I cannot revert the Page to a Page. 

Now I have to create a new Page, copy and paste all the content onto the new Page, and go find all the link to the old Page/Blog, and fix them. 

This is a lovely feature, but it needs a reverse command in case of errors. 

Like # people like this
Rob Grant January 10, 2022

I found this feature tricky because it seems to call a blog post a "blog". I think there's only one actual blog per space, and making a "blog" is actually creating a blog post under that space's blog.

Like Logi Helgu likes this
Logi Helgu January 11, 2022

@Kathy Hart the action when it "mysteriously became a Blog" is something that you can see in the History for the content, so you can see who/when it was changed.

The "when the time limit was up it became invisible" is more intriguing to me since I have no idea what time limit you are referring to and maybe you can help me understand this part.

I'm still on the side that the Blog to Page option should not be added since I regard the blogs to be a chronological announcements that shouldn't change afterwards :)

Logi Helgu January 11, 2022

@Rob Grant you really got Atlassian there...rightfully it should be called "Convert to a blog post", well spotted.

Like Rob Grant likes this
Lubna Dabash January 30, 2022

I have a question related to this, why i cant see this option for some pages while i see it for others?

Saba Bokhari
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2022

Hi @Lubna Dabash , Confluence Engineer here, you have to have edit and delete permission for the page in order to convert it.

Romke February 1, 2022

Please also support the reverse action, converting a blog into a page.

Like # people like this
Hung-Lin Chen March 7, 2022

+1 convert the blog back to page...

Like Kathy Hart likes this
Logi Helgu March 8, 2022

You wont get a feature added here...request a new feature if you want the reverse one ;)

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Avni Barman thank you for the screenshots. This looks promising update.

If in the process of conversion, if I encounter any error whom should I contact or will be my first point of contact?

Logi Helgu April 26, 2022

@G subramanyam I would think creating a bug to Atlassian (in their JIRA Cloud)...that's what I do and happy to say that (at least initial) response times have improved greatly <3

Avni Barman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2022

@G subramanyam feel free to report any feature suggestions or bug reports here.

Thank you!

Like G subramanyam likes this
Nic.Aslett October 14, 2022

Currently on version Confluence 7.13.7
What version needs to be reached to gain this feature?

Vassia Bravou February 23, 2024

Hello, was this idea implemented after all?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events