Confluence tables get drag-and-drop!

Hi Atlassian Community! I’m Phaemie, a Product Designer on the Atlassian Editor team. 👋

I'm pleased to announce that drag-and-drop for tables has finally arrived! We know you’ve been asking for an easier way to reorder your rows and columns - and now you can! 😍 My team and I are excited to bring this highly requested feature to life, empowering you to work with your tables in Confluence more easily.

Check out whats new below!

New handles to quickly drag-and-drop table rows and columns

Grab the new handles to move columns or rows around efficiently, saving time and effort compared to cutting and pasting.

new-handles.gif

New table controls

The new drag handle menus give you quick access to contextually-relevant options. Just click on the drag handle to select a column or row and access the menu at the same time.

Pro tip: Select multiple rows or columns using shift-click on the drag handles.

new-table-controls.gif

We’ve updated in-cell controls to make them simpler and easier to use. Discover a variety of flexible cell configuration options here, such as merging or coloring cells.

in-cell-controls.gif

Auto-scroll for wide or long tables

Do you have lots of content in your tables? Don't worry, we've got you covered. The drag preview can automatically scroll your table to the exact spot where you need to drop it.

autoscroll.gif

Accessible drag-and-drop improvements

Use the new menus to interact with columns and rows. If you prefer using your keyboard to navigate your content, you can also perform a variety of actions with special key combinations right from within your table.

Happy dragging-and-dropping. We hope you enjoy it!

Tables drag-and-drop is rolling out over the next month, so if you don’t see it on Confluence today, you will soon! Please let us know what you think or ask any questions in the comments below - we would ❤️ your feedback.

PS. In case you missed them, we’ve recently rolled out several other updates to tables:

39 comments

Adam Ahmed February 7, 2024

What a great improvement! The contextual menus look much more intuitive than before (although I don't know what happens when you use the column actions with only some cells selected.) The auto scroll is great attention to detail, too.

Nice one, Confluence!

Like # people like this

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman February 7, 2024

Before adding features that no-one asked for, what about paying some attention to fixing some of the bugs with tables that have been there since the beginning?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-76630

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-73643

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69352

Like # people like this

Hello Maurice,

I recognize your concerns and can sense your frustration. Nevertheless, it's important to appreciate the availability of these features (which I find valuable). It might be a bit strong to suggest that these features were universally unwanted or to speak on behalf of everyone. Let's try to view the positives and the enhancements they bring to our experience.

Best regards

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman February 8, 2024

Hello Jan, I am not saying they are universally unwanted, I am merely pointing out there are issues that are "more wanted", as they are blocking people from using the new editor altogether (like myself, and at least a thousand of my customers). But great to see that my frustration did not get unnoticed ;-).

Rosie Braum February 8, 2024

So excited about this feature! Working with tables will be much more enjoyable. 

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 8, 2024

Yes!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2024

Really excited to start using this. Confluence Tables are a big part of some of the key pages that we use in our organization and the recent TLC being shown by the Product Team for tables is making it both an easier and more powerful tool for us.

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Karen_Mustain February 8, 2024

@Phaemie Ng This looks like a great feature.  My users would go crazzzzy for this.  However, I'm on Data Center and it looks like this is only for Confluence Cloud.  Is that correct?  If so, is this on the roadmap for Confluence Data Center.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Elizabeth Gadsby February 8, 2024

Thank you for releasing this feature! It will make my team's daily work easier. The automatic numbering is an added bonus.

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2024

Considering that I have to move a row or column at least 30% of the times I add a table, I appreciate this new feature! Can't wait for it to roll out to my site.

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2024

Yeeees! Drag & Drop is finally here! Thank you for releasing it. This makes working with tables so much more fun and efficient! 🎉

Like # people like this
Jeff Sykes February 11, 2024

Maurice must not have been viewing the volume of requests submitted to Atlassian, because this functionality has been in VERY high demand for years.  People have been forced to use a shared Google Sheet or Excel doc when trying to manage large lists of bugs/stories/tasks, defeating the value of Confluence.

Huge improvement here.  Thanks for finally delivering it when others could not.

Like # people like this
Phaemie Ng
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2024

@Karen_Mustain Thanks for your comment! You're right, this will be rolled out to the cloud. At this stage, we don't have plans to roll it out to Data Center.

Alexander Reardon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2024

I love this feature, and I am so glad it has shipped 👏

Like # people like this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2024

Cool feature 

Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 22, 2024

Is this live?

Phaemie Ng
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2024

Hi @Prem Chudzinski _extensi_ yes it is. It's being rolled out, if you haven't got it yet, you will soon.

Heidi Egger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 3, 2024

@Phaemie Ng SiteMinder designers say a big THANK YOU! 

Like Phaemie Ng likes this
David Lowy March 20, 2024

Great updates!   One item that would be great is the ability to keep table sort in edit mode 

Turac Demir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Drag and drop is finally here!! 

Colum McAndrew March 20, 2024

Much needed updates. Thank you. Now if you can just add the ability to add another row when tabbing from the last cell :-) 

Asen Kiprov March 20, 2024

This was a long time coming. I'm tearing up. Thank you!

Cathy Allison March 20, 2024

I noticed this yesterday when I was updating some of our documentation.   Credit where credit is due, this is a huge improvement to the table feature and I'm having a much easier time doing some of the things I need to do. 

Robert Pearce March 20, 2024

It would be nice if Atlassian would bring these same features to Data Centre as well since there are a lot of us that won't be able to move to cloud.

Like Vedat Ozdemirler likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events