A simpler editing experience in Confluence Cloud is here!

Hi Confluence fans! Thank you so much for giving us your feedback this past year about how you'd like to use Confluence. We've taken all your input and simplified the way you create and edit content so that you will feel awesome creating and sharing pages with your team. No more need to worry about readability across devices, fussing with complicated toolbars, or wondering what your page will look like after you press publish.

Now it's easier than ever to create impactful pages from the start with an optimized layout, in-context toolbars that are relevant to the task you’re doing on the page, live view of all your macro content along with new and redesigned templates. We’ve even updated our emoji set 🎉 .

Optimized for any device

Create with confidence knowing that your content will look beautiful and easy to read on any screen with fixed-width pages optimized for readability. While text will stay within neat margins, your tables and images can expand to wide view or full-page width with a simple toggle in the media toolbar.

Use images, videos and gifs more effectively. You can also wrap text around your images as in the screenshot below

Right tools at the right time

Complicated toolbars in Confluence are now a thing of the past. In-context toolbars help you easily manipulate tables, arrange images, and format various aspect of your page. So when you’re editing a table in Confluence, the table toolbar will pop up in-context within the page. Meanwhile, if you were adding an image the image toolbar would pop up below the image with the ability to manipulating image size and positioning as showcased in the gif below.

confluence-editor-image.gif

Worry-free publishing

Create and publish worry-free with a consistent experience whether you’re viewing a page or editing it. All macros are shown in live view so you don’t have to wonder what your page will look like after pressing publish; you can see what all the content in your macros will look like instantly.

create content - 4.png

Set your team up for success

After speaking to you, we saw just how important templates were in your day-to-day work in Confluence. A page template doesn’t just provide you with a built-in structure for creating the content you need, it also provides your team with a structured way to organize work and make information easy to find.

To help your teams collaborate in a more consistent way, we are introducing four new page templates focused on marketing plans, product launches, project plans, and persona identification in addition to our existing collection of templates.

Project Plan BG.png

Express yourself

Just because it’s work doesn’t mean it can’t be fun. Use Confluence's updated emoji set - yes the shiny emojis you use to text and tweet - or directly upload some custom ones from the emoji picker so you can spread excitement and build on your company's culture.

Whether you’re indicating the priority level of your project as high 🔴, sharing your excitement about an upcoming event 😃, or simply stating what you want for lunch 🍕, emojis help you communicate it all visually.

Images + emojis.png

Consistent editing experience across the Atlassian suite

If you use any of the other products in the Atlassian Cloud Suite, you will have noticed a fresh new, unified design across the entire suite. We are now extending that to provide you with a consistent editing experience across all products. Soon, the way you create pages in Confluence and edit tickets in Jira will work exactly the same.

To help you get stuff done more quickly, we are also introducing a universal shortcut. Quickly insert a date, action, macro, emoji or really anything that you currently do in Confluence products by starting with a “/”. This shortcut will soon be available across all Atlassian cloud products.

Quick insert.png

More great things to come, but we can’t do it without you!

We are slowly rolling out the new create and edit experience in Confluence to make sure we address all feedback and deliver a product that helps you and your team drive work forward. For further details on what’s changed and how you can make the most of the new experience, check out our documentation. Let us know what you think below in the comments below or submit your feedback from within the product. Your feedback and suggestions help us to create a better experience for everyone. Go ahead, create a new page in Confluence Cloud.

20 comments

Tobias Anstett _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi,

I love the new experience and already had a quick look at it at the Confluence booth at Summit :)

All macros are shown in live view so you don’t have to wonder what your page will look like after pressing publish; you can see what all the content in your macros will look like instantly.

So does this only apply to Confluence bundled macros or also to Marketplace Apps? Are there any plans supporting it or what is required to get it running in other app macros?

Best,
Tobias

Tom Harrison September 6, 2018

This looks remarkably similar to the editor from Medium.com, perhaps implemented with Medium.JS?  :-)

In any case, major step forward.  Congrats to Atlassian!

Josh Allen September 6, 2018

Will we see this in Atlassian Cloud anytime soon?

Andy Webb September 6, 2018

Are you removing the indent keys after putting them back in? I don't see them.  If so, I need to know so I can start planning my exit.

Luiz Rocha September 6, 2018

Don't want to just point problems, sorry. Nice updates. Thanks.

Michael Ritacco September 6, 2018

Cool stuff. Any new improvements on tables for power users?

Cameron Clancy September 6, 2018

Well done - I welcome all the improvements. A video showing all this would be awesome.

Rune Lindman September 6, 2018

Looks nice! Have you done any improvements for using Confluence on an iPad? As far as I know I still cannot event take a meeting note using Confluence in browser or using the Confluence app as I can't find a way to extend a table with more rows.

Scrum Flower Boy September 7, 2018

Still not seeing any of the new cool stuff in our Confluence Cloud. Only the new templates have made an appearance, but there's no new emojis, no new editing experience for tables or images. :(

Adam Weekes September 7, 2018

So when can we expect to see this? I don't see any changes yet?

Jörn Weber September 7, 2018

Thanks for the info, but I spent my time reading everything and not I have to wait for it...? Why don't you announce a precise date when it's working and worth spending my time on this new features?

And how do I know that I can now use this features (beyond just try)?

dragana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2018

Hi all, 

Thanks for the responses and support, we are super excited! Atlassian truly has the best customers :).  Here's a quick rundown on all your questions:

• We plan to make live macros available for both native and marketplace app macros.
  • Most of you will already be able to see all of these new features when creating blogs. We have also rolled it out on meeting notes to a significant percent of instances. Launching the new cloud editing experience across all pages will be rolled out gradually as we want to make sure we get things right and our addressing feedback and any bugs before having a bigger impact to the way your team creates and edits in Confluence.
  • We took a lot of inspiration from many different tools along with listening to you, our users, so that we can provide the best way for you to edit and collaborate on your pages in Confluence Cloud.
  • This is just the first phase of the new editing experience and we still have so much more to bring in so Indent keys, layouts etc are all under consideration and in the works. We will be watching this post along with all the feedback closely. Keep up with the documentation link above to know all the latest and greatest. We will also be using Atlassian Community to communicate rollout updates and seek all of your awesome input.
  • Our mobile editing experience is going to have the new editing experience in the upcoming months. We have already rolled out updates on the way you comment in our mobile apps and are constantly working on updates to provide more feature parity with the mobile and web versions of our product. 
  • So far we've just introduced the "table stakes" for our tables. Stay tuned for many more things to come. Check out https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/197/advanced-tables-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview .

If I've missed anything, please let me know and keep the conversation going,

Thank you!!

Greg Johnson September 11, 2018

This looks fantastic!  I hate to be a grinch, as the unofficial policy seems to be clear regarding Cloud vs Server but, as a customer of ten years, we'd love to see a real statement about whether Server has a future, or if Atlassian is moving to 100% Cloud offerings?  Server seems to be the poor step-child left neglected, and announcements rarely even bother to mention if you will get round to the same feature release on that secondary platform.

So - new Confluence Editing in Server - any timeline?

Jealous in Canada...

Fabio Witt September 20, 2018

How can I get access right now? haha

dragana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2018

@Greg Johnson We totally hear you and this was a very common question at Summit as well. 

Currently, the Confluence Server team has no plans to adopt the new Cloud editor. This is largely due to the divergent underlying technologies behind the current cloud and server platforms. Such a change would also result in a huge impact on Server apps. The good news is that we continuously looking at ways to improve the editing experience. We understand that you rely on our Server products, so we want to make sure that custom plugins and add-ons keep working and that you don't need to retrain users on how to find information or use the system.

@Fabio Witt if you're already using Confluence Cloud you can access it on blogs and most likely meeting notes as well. 

Greg Johnson September 25, 2018

@dragana, I appreciate your candour.  We are shocked to hear of a 25% increase in Server pricing, and feel like the longstanding customers who have funded the growth of Atlassian are being treated poorly.  Rather than permitting the Cloud and Server products to diverge technologically, and thus at a UX level as well, why don't you keep them better in sync?

It would be really great to have your response expanded upon with a real "the future for Atlassian Server products" official statement (blog entry or equivalent) so that you can get a sense as to the community feedback.  Death by a thousand cuts and lack of clear statements leads to frustration, and it's no fun being on the receiving end of that.

Thanks again.

dragana
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2018

Hi @Greg Johnson,

While I am not the ideal person to comment on that as I work on product marketing for the Cloud team, but I can assure you that our goal at Atlassian is to build the best products for our customers. If you have the time, I would recommend watching Keshav Puttaswamy's (Head of Product, Server and Data Center) presentation he gave at Summit last month on the state of Atlassian's server and data center products. It breaks down our areas of focus and where we intend to invest in going forward. 

Hope that helps :) 

Pablo Dimenza October 22, 2018

@dragana looks great. loved the demo at summit. When can I see it on my cloud instance? all new pages are still using the old experience, including blog posts and meeting notes, am I missing something?

Peter Kidson August 22, 2019

The new format is is close to useless.   How do I get the old one back ?

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2019

Hello! If you are interested in what's to come for Confluence Cloud mobile's page experience, check out this article!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events