✨New viewing experience coming soon to Confluence Cloud mobile

Hi Community!

I'm Tiffany, a product manager on Confluence mobile. Our team has been working hard on improving the page viewing experience on mobile, both iOS and Android, and we want to share some of the new improvements. We understand that it's important to be able to pick up your work whether at the desk or on the train, and we aim to continue making this possible for you and your team. We hope these features make reading pages on-the-go a more delightful experience. 

iPhone X white (1).png

🤙Custom emoji support

Say goodbye to blue-star emojis! The new page experience supports custom emojis. Use custom emojis to communicate reactions, statuses, and more. Maybe that means more :partyparrot:s in more pages? 

New editor elements

See fresh, new elements built in the new editor on your mobile devices. See refreshed looks for:

• Statuses
  • Panels (info, note, warning, error, success)
  • Code blocks
  • Decisions

👆Scrollable tables

Have a full-width or information-rich table? View the table by simply swiping across the rows.  

⏰When?

These changes will be available in the coming weeks to months. We wanted to take this opportunity to open up a conversation, should you have any questions or concerns. 

📱Try the app out!

Or just search the App or Play Stores for “Confluence Cloud”.

💬Got feedback?

We hope this opens up a conversation between us. For you, to share how you and your team use Confluence, and for us, to understand how Confluence can help you move work forward. Should you have any thoughts, questions, concerns, please respond in the comments below or find time to chat on my calendar here. 

Got the app? Try the new experience out on mobile and share your feedback either in the comments below or directly via the app in Settings > Give FeedbackTo make giving feedback even simpler, enable Shake to Feedback in your Settings.

19 comments

David Washburn October 1, 2019

Is there a beta test version or a flight test we can demo?

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Hi @David Washburn , we currently do not have a beta version out but will keep in touch when that is available!

thomas.ohrbom October 1, 2019

The current version on Play Store is 1.56.10, updated on 5 Sep 2019. So when do you release the new version that you speak of @Tiffany ?

Nicole October 2, 2019

Is there anything in the works to improve the mobile experience for public (unauthenticated users) on Confluence Cloud sites? Sites aren't responsive or user-friendly. We have 30,000 users and can't expect them to download the app just to view the site for self-service information.

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2019

@thomas.ohrbom This will be released on Android over the coming few months. There will be additional features and improvements released between then.

@Nicole: We currently are not working on mobile apps being available for unauthenticated users. 

Like thomas.ohrbom likes this
Nicole October 2, 2019

@Tiffany I'm asking if Confluence Cloud sites will be responsive in the future, so no app is needed.

David Washburn October 3, 2019

@Nicole I believe the new Fabric Editor template is their push towards a responsive cloud page. We have started using the new template for all of our pages and they are responsive on the web and on mobile browsers.

The real question would be when Atlassian will allow us to convert existing pages/templates to fabric editor pages.

Nicole October 3, 2019

@David Washburn My main concern is the visibility of the menu. It is really difficult for visitors to navigate around the site. Not a great experience.

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2019

@David Washburn There will be an opportunity soon for an opt-in for page conversions to the new editor. We will be making another Community post around is so stay tuned!   

Martin Ellis November 3, 2019

How about an opt-out of the new 'Create a new page' so we can keep working with the old 'create a new page'. The new functionality version does not replicate the output of the old reliable one!

Confluence has removed the old one today and this is a problem!

Tina Cristobal May 7, 2020

Hi @Tiffany 

Can I check with you what is the current limitation of the Confluence Mobile app? Correct me if I am wrong, Confluence Cloud does not have any enable mobile view switch since Confluence Cloud instance is already displaying the 'mobile view' when accessed from a mobile device.

I have created a space however layouts seemed to be all over the place. Background colors of table is missing, it seems the spaces between layouts are reduced to a single space making it not readable in mobile. Tried editing it via Mobile editor but to no avail.

Also due to the switch to the new editor, all images with links are now showing as broken images. Does it mean we have to unlink all of them?

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2020

Hey @Tina Cristobal

The new mobile view detailed in this post is being rolled out and therefore only some instances have them enabled right now. Issues related to the background color not showing up would be resolved. If you would like this experience, please let me know. Or if you are not sure and have questions, please let me know.

Regarding image linking, we are actively rolling out changes to the image linking issue and this should be fixed in the coming weeks. 

David Washburn May 7, 2020

@Tiffany  is it possible to have this enabled for our instance?

Thanks @Tiffany 

For the spaces and images with broken link, it is really pressing issues for our users in terms of viewing experience. Do you have any workarounds or tips we can try to make it more cordial?  I would like to assess how much effort we need to allocate to update this while waiting for the fix. Just curious, would you have a timeline like say, next quarter when the fixes would be rolled out?

Also how can we embed a video youtube in Confluence page that is also playable in mobile? It seems the widget for this is also not working on Android phones. 

Thanks  @Tiffany 

For the spaces and images with broken link, it is really pressing issues for our users in terms of viewing experience. Do you have any workarounds or tips we can try to make it more cordial?  I would like to assess how much effort we need to allocate to update this while waiting for the fix. Just curious, would you have a timeline like say, next quarter when the fixes would be rolled out?

Also how can we embed a video youtube in Confluence page that is also playable in mobile? It seems the widget for this is also not working and are showing as bunch of html codes on Android phones.

Thanks  @Tiffany 

Also how can we embed a video youtube in Confluence page that is also playable in mobile? It seems the widget for this is also not working and are showing as bunch of html codes on Android phones.

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2020

@Tina Cristobal the image linking issue will be addressed and rolled out within this quarter, within the next few weeks. Links to space overviews, if that is what you are referencing, are also being addressed in the same timeline. 

There are active improvements being made to widgets on mobile. Those changes will be grouped with the new viewing experience. There shouldn't be a bunch of html on the page. It looks like a bug and would encourage you to file a ticket if you are an instance admin so that it's trackable. Nonetheless, we'll investigate internally.

@David Washburn yes, we can enable it for your instance. The reason why we have not rolled it out to all instances yet is that there is currently limited support for macros (macros aren't fully supported inline, but are viewable in-app). If this works with you, please email me with your instance name. Happy to also hop on a call to discuss further details if you are not sure. Regarding converting pages to the new editor, this has been enabled in every instance. You can find it in the footer when you enter edit mode on a page. More is detailed in the linked community post.  Hope this helps. 

David Washburn May 8, 2020

@Tiffany no problem - though I’m unsure how to email you directly unfortunately. I would love to send our instance URL and have the new editor enabled for our mobile users.

We do not heavily use macros so I’m unconcerned with incompatibility.

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2020

@David Washburn sure! My email is tchang@atlassian.com. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events