A new way to view Excel files in Confluence

40 comments

Stuart Brown August 17, 2022

@Simon Kliewer - Re your response - "Hi Stuart - for the forseeable future the macro preview in the edit view page will display the PDF preview, similar to the attachment page preview, but previewing or publishing the page will show the updated macro contents."

Why not for 'the forseeable future'? When this is clearly an actual bug that needs fixing asap. Excel files simply don't preview correctly in Confluence. It is a bit like saying that a car may not have wheels, but it won't be imminently fixed. Is the Excel Preview problem on the road map to be fixed quickly? (And if it isn't, then why not?)

Andrew Tyson August 21, 2022

The Atlassian Cloud version of the Excel macro doesn't appear to be as functionally rich as the Server / DC version. For multi worksheet workbooks Server allowed the user to nominate the displayed worksheet as part of the macro configuration. That option seems to be missing in Cloud. In practice I have use cases where I want different Confluence pages to display different worksheets in the on workbook attached to a given page.

Like • # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2022

@Andrew Tyson At least if it would default to displaying the first tab, I could rearrange my workbook to suit. I haven’t figured out how it chooses which tab to display, and I can’t afford to waste any more time on it. 🙄

Simon Kliewer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2022

Hi @Kelly Arrey! I reached out to the team that owns Smart Links, and found there was an open internal bug to track this fix. I created a public facing ticket to track that internal ticket, so you can also track its progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-74469

Hopefully this helps!

Hi @Stuart Brown - Thank you for your feedback! This is a great suggestion - I filed a suggestion ticket here to capture your feedback so we could prioritize the work and get it on our roadmap: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-74470 

Thank you!

Hi @Andrew Tyson - Thank you for your feedback! We've heard this a few times now, so I have created a suggestion ticket here so the work can be prioritized and put on our roadmap. It can be voted on / watched here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-74246

Thank you!

Like • # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

Thanks @Simon Kliewer !

Andrew Clements October 10, 2022

On Atlassian Cloud, there are messages like "Office Excel: spreadsheet preview is finally here!", but it doesn't actually do anything, and mostly just displays error messages. Sometimes it displays one column from the spreadsheet as a PDF. Try re-uploading the file multiple times.

Is it not released to Cloud yet?

(ps: Just migrated from server today where it works fine)

Simon Kliewer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2022

Hi @Andrew Clements! I would be happy to look into this for you. 

Would you email me at skliewer@atlassian.com ? To start, would be great if you could send me your site URL, some screenshots, and an example file if you are OK with this. Thanks so much!

Like • Andrew Clements likes this
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2023

Is there already anywhere a bug report that hidden worksheets are visible?

Use-Case: The Spreadsheets are programmatically created by an ERP system, it contains a bunch of worksheets incl. a hidden worksheet. Which is in the order of sheets, the first one, which also by the macro is the first that a user will see.

So respecting hidden worksheets or finally re-implement https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-74246 would solve our issue.

Kind Regards,
Tim

Tamara Houseknecht March 1, 2023

Is there a way to make Excel Slicers work in Confluence?

Payal Gogia March 6, 2023

The feature works perfectly. Just a small observation that content of the cells is right aligned. It shall be center aligned or left aligned by default. Also I think the feature will become more useful if we the view gets automatically updated when any changes are done in the linked spreadsheet. please confirm if any such requirement is there in the backlog.

Jan-peter van der Steege April 6, 2023

This works very well in published pages! However, when creating a PDF Export the preview is very small and of low quality. Is that how it is supposed to be, or did I misconfigure something?

Eleni Timini June 3, 2023

Question: I have tried this but in Excel file, I got header filters and also a frozen row which don't seem to be visible when on the wiki page. Also it doesn't find a text when search for something!

Unless I am doing something wrong here?

Jeanus Ko August 1, 2023

How can I default a specific excel sheet tab for display on a confluence page?

Rita de Cassia Vieira da Cruz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2023

Hi @Shalu Pandey

Thank you for sharing this tip with us. The old version of Confluence worked as expected, but Confluence Cloud is not displaying the Excel file in the expected format. I did the step-by-step, but the result was not what I expected. The Excel file extension I am using is xlsm. Confluence is showing the data in .doc format or .pdf format. I'm waiting for your answer. Thanks

Rita de Cassia Vieira da Cruz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 28, 2023

Hi Shalu Pandey,
Could you please help me, I did the step-by-step what was described in your step-by-step article, but the results were not as expected.
The extension of my Excel file is .xlsm.

I'm waiting for your reply. Thank you and regards.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events