Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

A new way to view Excel files in Confluence

Hi Community 👋,

My name is Shalu Pandey, and I’m a product manager working on Confluence Ecosystem features for Confluence Cloud.

I’m happy to share that the Excel Macro has gotten an upgrade, making it easier to view embedded Excel files in Confluence. We prioritized this work based on customer feedback that the existing experience made it hard to work with Excel files within Cloud.

The Excel Macro now displays content more similarly to how Excel works - tabs of sheets, instead of a PDF. In the new experience, the file is displayed as a spreadsheet with tabs and you can navigate the embedded Excel file in a Confluence page.

🔢 Spreadsheet format makes it easier to engage with data

BEFORE                                    AFTER
before.gif  giphy                            

🗂 Tabbed views make it easier to navigate the embedded file 

tabbed views.gif

🚨If you're currently using the Excel Macro, you'll need to re-upload your file to see the new experience. Follow the steps below to upload.

upload steps.gif

This feature is currently rolling out so if you don’t see it on your Confluence Cloud instance today, it should come to your site soon.

Please leave any feedback below in the comments and stay tuned for more exciting things from Confluence Ecosystem coming soon!

10 comments

Looks great @Shalu Pandey !! Any word as to when Data Center may have this feature?

Like Ollie Guan likes this
Ollie Guan Community Leader Jun 08, 2022

Cool, any plan for data center?

Sounds like a real improvement. Is there any way to proactively check if my organisation has received the new macro or a means to proactively get the new macro?

@Dave Beever We're excited for you to use it! The easiest way to check would be to use the macro, and you should either see the old experience (PDF) or new experience (tabbed sheets). 

The new experience is still actively rolling out to customers, so if your organization does not have access yet, they will soon!

Shalu Pandey Atlassian Team Jun 14, 2022

Hi @Stu and @Ollie Guan - thank you for your interest in an update for the excel macro for data center. At this time, this is not on our immediate roadmap but we will keep you updated incase that changes. 

Like Stu likes this

This is definitely an improvement, although I wish the macro allowed for limiting the display to a specific worksheet (or worksheets) as with the server version.  One bug I will note is that the spreadsheet does not render when previewing the page.  You have to publish the page before you can view the results. :(  

charlenec I'm New Here Jun 27, 2022

This is great to support Excel preview, thank you so much.

One more suggestion: if it's possible to edit the Excel on the WIKI page by different persons at the same time? Please help consider, thanks.

It is a really great improvement.

I am really happy with the current improvement

Any more improvements / suggestions:

• add the ability to specify wich tab to show on the first view
  • add the ability to enable the edit link (like confluence server)

This looks interesting. Is there a way to embed an Excel file from SharePoint, instead of attaching it? Thanks,

The macro doesn't seem to display wider sheets properly. Even after clicking "go wide" or "go full width" it shrinks columns so that excel doesn't want to display the full string of numbers. There is no way to update this in the page or settings, which makes this new feature unusable for us.

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

An update on Confluence Cloud customer feedback – June 2022

Hi everyone, We’re always looking at how to improve Confluence and customer feedback plays an important role in making sure we're investing in the areas that will bring the most value to the most c...

159 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you