2019: All Wrap(ped) Up Like a Present

155 comments

Dawn Raison December 12, 2019

Not sure "wrapped up like a present" is the right term, more like "trussed up like a turkey".

Why do we have such a disparate set of features now across the Atlassian product set?

I never know whether the editor I'm using will convert star text star to bold or italics for example. I can't add note panels in JIRAs when creating them, only when editing? All these pointless steps added - how about taking a step back and harmonizing your offering - maybe talk to some users?

Like # people like this
Menno Bieringa December 12, 2019

Having used Confluence since 2008 it definitely grew a lot.
But it seems focus is on adding features and not so much on making what's already there really shine.

At the end of the day, Confluence is about writing content, finding it and reading it.

Those features need to be top notch!
And precisely the editor is receiving very little love.

Deleted user December 12, 2019

@Jeremy You have been using Confluence for seven years without inserting images of any kind? That's remarkable (and possibly challenging for those who need images to help support their understanding).

Anyone who has attempted to insert images in the new editor will confirm that the new approach is a major step in a counterproductive direction. Necessary control has been withheld under the pretence that control over images was too complex for most users. That is such a silly thing to suggest. It makes me wonder about the credibility of many comments made about why things are the way they are. The new image functionality is overflowing with actual bugs that remain unaddressed.

Like # people like this
Bader_Aldirayee December 12, 2019

thank you for the new updates !! 

still we are waiting from you to support RTL :) we are waiting since forever @Jessica Taylor 

Sheryar December 12, 2019

Please improve text editor.

NO ANCHORS ? previously it was there now I can't add anchors. most important part of any long documentation 

1. I am unable to change font size , no font size ?

2. Why you remove the image boarder option ? some image need boarder specially screenshots with white ends

3. how can we put table inside a table ?

4. The screen divider should be re-sizable.

5. No option to export to Word ?d

Like # people like this
Sheryar December 12, 2019

NO ANCHORS ? previously it was there now I can't add anchors. most important part of any long documentation 

1. I am unable to change font size , no font size ?

2. Why you remove the image boarder option ? some image need boarder specially screenshots with white ends

3. how can we put table inside a table ?

4. The screen divider should be re-sizable.

5. No option to export to Word ?

Like # people like this
Alex_Rodriguez December 12, 2019

I'm sure all the passive-aggressive comments and all the destructive feedback will be super helpful…

I can understand the frustration, but this is not how things should be managed.

I am super happy so far with the new editor to be honest, I find it intuitive and ease to use, but it never rains to everyone's taste.

Some of the power features are gone and there are bugs and issues all around, but I'm having no issues myself (so far) so I can't really complain.

Sorry to hear that so many of you are having so many legacy issues :/

Hope you get a solution soon enough!

Like Jessica Taylor likes this
Alberto Buritica December 12, 2019

Lucky you Alex Rodriguez. In my case, I probably should redo more than two hundred pages because Atlassian decided to remove the div macro for the good of the "intuitive and easy to use".

Also, I should move and place hundreds of images because Atlassian had the idea to remove ability to add Images from web in the new editor.

By the way, everyone who misses the ability to add Images from web I appreciate your vote here CONFCLOUD-65749

Like # people like this

@Alberto Buriticáevery time there is a major update/product release often many things get deprecated and that always sucks big time.

I want to believe there is a thought process behind all this and that it has been done for the better good after an extensive deliberation process with pros and cons (you know, two steps forward, one step back)

I have just joined the community and I am not aware on how often and how fast Atlassian works in terms of bug fixing, but being so critical for so many users one would expect quick action right?

David Revilla December 12, 2019

@Alex_Rodriguez Ironically, Atlassian is pretty bad managing tickets, been waiting since 2012 for a problem with source-tree, since 2014 for an improvement regarding cloning in jira

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this

@Alex_Rodriguez If you truly understood all the frustration, you wouldn't be "super happy so far with the new editor".

I can literally no longer do parts of my job as a result of the changes. It isn't about failing to rain to my taste—the new editor prevents me from providing the output required of me.

Something as simple as the removal of the DIV macro means I no longer have the ability to appropriately customise the presentation of content in the browser and in PDF exports. In one fell swoop, I was dead in the water. And to whom should I express my job-crippling dissatisfaction?

When many here submit respectful bug reports, they are ignored and sit untouched for years on end. I can only assume it's because Atlassian decides that fixing the bug isn't worth the effort or is contrary to the roadmap. 

Being passive aggressive seems to be the only outlet for immense frustration that doesn't result in a user being moderated or removed from the forum.

By your own admission, you are "having no issues myself (so far) so I can't really complain." I hope, for your sake, you are never asked to prepare content that goes beyond basic notepad-style stuff. If you ever do, you'll understand the depths of discomfort so many other users are experiencing. And while it's all going on, Atlassian selectively responds to positive comments that endorse its position while vilifying those who are altogether less gracious on account of their aggravated, ignored, legitimate, and enduring frustrations.

Like # people like this

@Alex_Rodriguez I needed to rename a user-group last week. I was unable to do it because it isn't possible. I spent over 15 years creating database-driven web apps, however, so I know it should be as simple as updating a text field in a database table.

Take a look at the request to implement what should be a straightforward change: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1391

That request remains open after SIXTEEN years! It should be a super-simple fix. If it isn't, anyone who has ever coded with databases will confirm that someone messed up in a catastrophic way while developing the product.

Atlassian is super-efficient at responding to compliments and changing the product left, right, and centre when the amendments suits its plans. Everyone and everything else can take a hike.

Like # people like this

Since Atlassian is comfortable airing its dirty laundry to its subscribers because it moderates all criticism, check out the list of unresolved issues, here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-161?jql=project%20%3D%20JRASERVER%20AND%20status%20!%3D%20Closed%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20ASC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC

The oldest of them dates back to 2002 and is almost 18 years old.

No, no, no! That can't be right. There are plenty of people in the third world who don't even live as long as some tickets have been held open. It is a travesty of extraordinary proportions.

Like Alex_Rodriguez likes this

@[deleted]that does look like a shipwreck (specially knowing there is even a voting system in place to validate requests)

Is there a specific process for ticket acceptance within Atlassian or is it just super bad ticket management/prio? Did you have to manually make a new group instead?

"Atlassian is super-efficient at responding to compliments and changing the product left, right, and centre when the amendments suits its plans" if this is the case, how come Atlassian is still growing? (not a sarcastic question) shouldn't there be clear red flags along the way or do they just do their thing and ignore all the feedback?

@Alex_Rodriguez Further to your question, Atlassian processes are opaque to its users in spite of its protestations that it is open and responsive. I have no idea how its teams prioritise or otherwise. It is possible they have no idea themselves.

For my particular user-group issue, I had to create an entirely new group, add all the users, apply all the appropriate permissions, and then delete the old group. It lost me some time, but at least I was able to achieve the end result I needed.

The new editor, however, has lost me plenty of time trying to figure out how I can continue to produce professional-quality documentation, and I still have no solution. I simply cannot make any headway with it. I come unstuck with my first flowchart image. I can no longer position it where I need, and I can no longer apply a specific size. I thank my lucky stars that I still have access to the legacy editor. Atlassian will have to forcibly tear it from my dead body because I won't let go of it willingly.

I responded to you, @Alex_Rodriguez, but then I edited a word in the text and the entire post disappeared.

Shame; it contained only glorious and unmitigated praise for the friendly Atlassian crew.

Further to your comment, Atlassian processes are opaque to its users, so we have no way of knowing which issues it decides to work on and which will be swept under the carpet (or simply left untouched for years on end).

Further to my group-renaming challenge, I had to create a new group, assign all the users to it, assign all the permissions, and then delete the original group. It felt like an unnecessary waste of time, but at least I was able to achieve the desired result.

The same cannot be said about the new editor. I come unstuck as soon as I need to insert any type of image (especially those including precise technical information that must be viewed at a predetermined resolution) because I am no longer able to position it where I need and at a resolution I need—the problems only magnify when exporting to PDF.

I am unwilling to settle for documentation that looks like it was produced by someone who is visually impaired. I have nothing against people who are visually impaired, please understand, but I don't want them to assemble my professional, customer-facing documentation.

I thank my lucky stars that I still have access to the legacy editor. Atlassian will have to wrench it from my cold, dead body before I will voluntarily give up a product that actually works. I am not a power user, but if I wanted Notepad functionality, I'd have stuck with Notepad.

Like # people like this
Mark Rees December 12, 2019

Working with Atlassian brings so much more efficiency! Keep improving!

Tom Crowley December 12, 2019

So it looks like Atlassian have updated the Expand macro. You can now change the title without opening the edit window (which has been removed).

Unless I missed this in November, there's clearly been some kind of release this month.

When are you going to hire me, Atlassian? I'm already providing support, community management and leadership, product testing, and business strategy and product management advice, and now I'm writing your release notes, too.

Like # people like this

Oh, look everyone! A member of the Atlassian team liked a comment by first-time poster @Mark Rees. Extraordinary.

Like # people like this

The first two comments in this thread responded with praise tempered by honest disillusionment. They epitomise what ought to be valuable customer feedback. They have received 68 likes between them (at the time of posting this), but I don't see any Atlassian staff liking those popular posts. Perhaps they would face disciplinary action for acknowledging the truth.

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley December 12, 2019

@[deleted] I'm just jealous of your likes. 

Like # people like this

@Tom Crowley You know the score. You must post like an Atlassian employee with the boss standing behind you while you type. Praise, adulation, and astonishment for such a fine piece of work will get you all the likes you seek (if only from Atlassian employees).

Like Alex_Rodriguez likes this
Heidi Trevethan December 12, 2019

THANK YOU! You guys rock! I love we can use /giphy now! 

Shannyn Johnson December 12, 2019

@Heidi Trevethan honest question, what is the use case for adding GIFs to your documentation? I'd probably get fired if I included them in mine but its also client/ SLT facing at times as well as exported to text. 

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this
Heidi Trevethan December 12, 2019

@Shannyn Johnson We are a pretty laid-back company and use emojis and gifs all the time. It makes for a more personal and friendly experience. We use them with clients and contractors in their How-To's, meeting notes, emails, etc. Clients and Collaborators seem to appreciate the friendliness and openness we portray. We help SMBs with automating their technology with strategy, APIs, builds, etc.  :) 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events