Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Assignee in Jira Issue Card

Matt Richards June 3, 2023

We are using a whiteboard to coordinate the work of multiple people. Going from stickies to Jira issues has been very helpful, and it's helping us move more of our process into Jira. The problem we are having is that once we have a Jira ticket shown on a whiteboard as a card, the assignee is not shown. This is causing confusion as we cannot tell which issue is applied to which person.

How do we show the assignee on a Jira Issue Card?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2023

Hey mate - providing the ability for users to customize what meta data for an issue shows in a Jira Smart Link is something that we totally want to do! Just haven't got around to yet. 

Common asks are for assignee (as you've suggested) & estimates like Story Points.

We may also look to provide some of these more commonly asked pieces of meta data as default information on a Jira Smart Link.

Matt Richards June 7, 2023

Customizability would be great, but it might be easier to simply match Jira's default. Issue type, priority and story point estimate would be valuable, but not as necessary as assignee in our use case, as I suspect it will be for many others. The purpose of the whiteboard is collaboration, and if you're obscuring the assignee things get opaque and unmanageable.

Perhaps it would be possible for you to easily add assignee to the current view to solve the existing problem and consider the larger task of customization to add functionality later? 

jira-issue.png

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2023

That thinking makes sense. We've heard some asks for assignee, too. At some point we'll probably move towards providing customisability.

cc'ing in our designer @Daniel Simmonds who's been having a look at adding more meta data into the Jira cards.

Matt Richards June 9, 2023

Thanks. @Daniel Simmonds feel free to let me know if you need any additional insight into our use case. For what it's worth we feel strongly that this is needed, and in an ideal world you guys could quickly implement just assignee and not get into a larger, more time consuming, less valuable (in our opinion) project around customizability. 

Daniel Simmonds
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2023

Hi @Matt Richards thanks for the feedback, I've actually heard this come up through a few interviews in similar use cases to yours. Yes, I am exploring what cards will look like with different metadata, starting with the assignee. 

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2023

Posting this on behalf of @Daniel Simmonds as his media upload is playing up.

Example below of what it could like showing the assignee avatar on a Jira Smart Link. This is the same approach to how assignee is shown on a Jira issue in a Jira board.

CleanShot 2023-06-15 at 11.31.10@2x.png

Matt Richards June 15, 2023

Looks great to me! What are the chances this will be implemented soon?

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2023

Figuring specifics out. But hopefully over the coming couple of months. We're currently heads down getting the Beta out the door, including moving whiteboards into the content tree, global create, recents, etc.

We can update with progress as soon as we know.

Matt Richards June 15, 2023

I appreciate the insight. The sooner the better. This is a big one considering the overall positioning of the product!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events