Why am I no longer able to sort a task report alphabetically by Assignee?

Brooke February 5, 2020

We use the task report to track certain action items for a team. In the past I was able to sort by assignee. Now none of the columns I have will sort in any sort of order (random out of sequence due dates vs. being able to sort by oldest to newest or vice versa; assignees cannot be sorted in any type of alphabetical order). There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the sorting functionality now, and it wasn't like that in the past. Any idea how to fix this? 

3 answers

2 votes
Katerina Rudkovskaya _Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 27, 2020

Hello,

We can recommend you to try our app - Table Filter and Charts for Confluence:

Please wrap your Task Report macro into the Table Filter macro and apply different kinds of sorting

2020-07-27_18h08_21.png2020-07-27_18h08_06.png

Best regards,
Katerina
Stiltsoft

0 votes
Robert Yu February 26, 2021

Thank you @Clarence Duryea for the work-around.
Has the table sort function been fixed? It seems this is a problem for other tables too.  Kind of a blocker for productivity.

Clarence Duryea March 17, 2021

You are very welcome! I unfortunately do not know the answer to that question.

John Tolle May 27, 2021

Unfortunately, the answer is no, it has not been fixed yet.  @Robert Yu provided a link to the backlogged issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67965

What's really frustrating about backlogged issues is that you can no longer vote for, watch, or comment on them so there is no way to inform Atlassian that we have an interest in this issue.

0 votes
Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

@Brooke 

Hi Brooke

just had a quick look to my confluence cloud instance

within the properties of the tas report macro there is still the option to specfiy a sort order

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 22.00.53.png

Hope that helps

Cheers

Kurt

Brooke February 5, 2020

@Kurt Klinner now if only it would actually sort that way, I'd be golden...but it doesn't. That's the problem :) No matter what settings I choose, the list sorts randomly and not in any particular order I can identify. 

Isobel Lindsay June 15, 2020

Hello Brooke,  

I have exactly the same problem - did you ever get an answer? 

Isobel

Brooke June 15, 2020

Hi @Isobel Lindsay

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a solution for this. @Kurt Klinner 's answer is what *should* be happening, and what was happening at one point, but this isn't what happens now on my instance. The sorting feature seems to be broken as there is no rhyme or reason to the order the information comes up. I've tried deleting and adding the macro back, to no avail. 

Sorry I don't have better news! 

Best,

B

V T July 7, 2020

Cool, I'm not the only one who can't figure this out! :)

Sort by assignee doesn't work indeed.

I actually wanted to understand how to filter just the unassigned task, but that's also impossible.

Like Brooke likes this
Brooke July 7, 2020

This has been a big pain point for us because it renders the task list useless. The point was to have an easy way for my team to follow up on outstanding items. No one wants to scroll through 100 tabs of action items to find which randomly listed ones apply to them. Our process was based on the assumption the team could sort either by date or by the assignee. 

Clarence Duryea July 21, 2020

I stumbled upon something you may find interesting... It's a solution I found helpful for our situation. Basically you can bundle Action Items per team member. That way they can go straight to their AI's. You can specify only to show 10 AI's under each persons name (So they can scroll through their own AI's). Is it the best solution, no... and it can take a while to setup if you have a lot of team members... but it may work for you! I'll let you decide. Link: http://lightmanyfires.com/create-team-task-report-page-confluence/

PS: you can copy and paste profile pictures and the task report then just edit the assignee to make life easier. And you can make a template for entering in new team members later. Hope this helps!

Like # people like this
Brooke July 21, 2020

@Clarence Duryea THANK YOU! This is amazing. I just built out a page for my team. Thank goodness for workarounds!

Like Clarence Duryea likes this
V T July 27, 2020

Went with the same approach as @Clarence Duryea yet it leaves one gap: unassigned tasks can get lost if there is a large number of assigned tasks. Did not figure out a good way to filter for just the unassigned tasks.

Laura Rusenstrom March 17, 2021

@Clarence Duryea Just wanted to drop a thank-you!! I and my team are very new to Confluence, and I've been struggling to find a way to display their tasks that's easy for them to use and work with. This is a beautiful yet simple approach, and really user friendly (for both the person building the page and the people using the page).

Like Clarence Duryea likes this
Robert Yu March 19, 2021

There is a backlog ticket associated with this problem:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67965

It has been assigned low priority with no target date for fixing.   Maybe
more people can ask for this fix.  It's been sitting around since 2019.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events