Tables: How to move, cut, paste rows and columns in new editor?

Daniel Brumund December 5, 2019

Hi everyeone,

it seems that the 'new editing' experience has removed the buttons for cutting, copying and pasting table rows and columns.

Dear Atlassian team, can you PLEASE reinstate those features? They are crucial for the user-experience. Without them, the new editor is really just making things worse.

If that's not possible, can you at least tell me how to move back to the previous editing experience? Thank you

1 answer

1 vote
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Hi @Daniel Brumund ,

In the new Confluence editor, the options for tables are now within the table itself. I've included an image below. When you put your cursor in a particular cell, you'll see a little icon in the right-corner of the cell. That's the Cell options menu. Click on it and you'll see options for adding or removing rows and columns.

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 2.46.16 PM.png

Hope this helps -- Sharon

Daniel Brumund February 27, 2020

Please note that this answer does NOT solve the problem. I am well aware of the new table menu that opens up within the table.

The problem is that this menu does NOT include options to cut/copy/paste rows and columns. Therefore, this new editor is really not working for me - and many others who, quite frankly, expect these features to be in the new editor.

So, to whoever 'accepted' this answer: I'd kindly ask you to take that back and refer to your developers team regarding the actual issue.

Thank you.

Like # people like this
dave symonds January 6, 2022

Pathetic isnt it

Mike Frohme July 8, 2022

yes, pathetic - still not fixed in July, 2022.

The basic functionality killed with the new editor experience has taken with it my interest in using the product anymore (user since 2009). 

Since it only took ~17 years to get the 'Create Linked Issue' issue addressed, I won't hold my breath on getting the editor fixed.

jcashman55 July 15, 2022

Imagine my delight in finding a free version of confluence.  we use an older version at work.  I work in tables all.day.long.  No cut-and-paste of rows/columns?  I simply can't believe it.  Is that an option that can be purchased?

jcashman55 July 15, 2022

I don't think columns work, but I found somewhere else the following method for rows.

The secret is you need a new blank row(s) for the paste.

This is not ideal, but I can live with it.  I've had similar paste experiences in spreadsheets before.  So, I suppose they are copying that paradigm.

1. Create a new row(s) where you want to paste (using the provided 'insert below' options).

2. Go to existing row(s) you want to copy/cut and make sure the whole row(s) is completely highlighted. Ctrl-C (for copy) or Ctrl-X (for cut).

3. Go to blank row(s).  Ctrl-V.  Seems to work for me. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events