Sections in Confluence Cloud

Deleted user October 29, 2018

I recently moved to a new company where Confluence Cloud is being used (previously I used Confluence Server).

I am editing a document and cant seem to find the "sections" button, which is used to divide a page into section. Where has it gone? Does it have to be enabled somehow?

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2018

Hi @[deleted]! 

Not a bug! You're experiencing the rollout of our new editor in Confluence Cloud. Sections aren't currently available but they are coming soon! This doc outlines changes with the new editor and what you can expect to be coming in the near future. Hope that helps! 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2018

Hello @Kesha Thill, thanks the info! Shouldn't it be mentioned here as well?

Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2018

@Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ - I think it was mentioned awhile back so now we just hyperlink to that doc in those sections where it's applicable (see: "Meeting notes are getting a makeover" and "Blogs are getting the first round of editing improvements" on that page). 

Since it's a slow rollout, we're mentioning it when certain features get affected. Either way, I'll bring it up with the team :)

@Kesha Thill- thanks for the info.

Is there a timeline for when to expect those temporarily disabled features to be available (especially Layouts)?

Like Corentin Méhat likes this
Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2018

@[deleted] - we don't have a firm date but you should be able to expect in the coming months! 

Tracey Vause November 26, 2019

Hi is there an update for when this feature will be available? Don't have the ability to create sections in in the latest version of Confluence Cloud & this is how we format our pages.

The page layout button doesn't give the option for single section from left to right .

Helga Bjarnadóttir January 25, 2021

It's 2021 now and I can't find sections or layout editing options other than the few different column options it the editor. Is this still to be expected?

Like Thierry Dalon likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2021

Hello Helga,

I took a look at the Confluence Cloud editor roadmap, and I see we are tracking these requests for sections and other additional layout options in the below Jira ticket.

Vote for this issue, and you'll also automatically receive updates in the future on its progress.

Take care,

Shannon

Gregory Muir February 15, 2022

" Sections aren't currently available but they are coming soon! "

It's 2022 and we're still missing it. 

Like # people like this
Gregory Muir March 29, 2023

A year later. Still not happening.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2018

Hello @[deleted],

The "sections" button is actually the Page layout one:

layout.png

It's pretty much the same button than in Confluence Server, I guess you were using an old Server version :)

You may want to browse this page to learn more about formatting in Confluence Cloud.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Thanks for the reply Manon,

I can't see the button. Not even when I expand the toolbar. It's nowhere to be found.Capture.PNG

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2018

What do mean by expanding the toolbar, do you click on "..." next to the italic button?

Yes. And it just revealed additional text formatting options:

Capture1.PNG

The "+" button reveals this:

Capture2.PNG

Again, nothing to do with page layout. It's really weird.

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2018

That's weird! Have you tried on different browsers? It's not the usual behaviour so you may need to reach out to your Confluence admin.

I'm starting to think it's a bug.

When you create a new space, a default page called "Overview" is created.  When I edit this page, all the right buttons show up.

However when I create/add a new page, I get the same problem.

And yes, I have tried different browsers.

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2018

I've reached out to other Community champions to check if anyone has ever seen such behaviour, in the meantime I'd recommend you to contact your Confluence admin. It may be a known bug on your instance, or your admin may raise a bug to Atlassian support team :)

And if you really need the section feature right now, you can use the Section and Column macros - less user-friendly than the Page layout button but more flexible!

Thanks a lot for the help. These alternatives might just do for now :)

KAREN KIRBIS October 3, 2019

THANK YOU!!  I found the layout button and added the section

Lynn Ravens November 18, 2019

Where did you find it? I'm having the same issue. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Hi @Lynn Ravens,

Here is the layout button in the new Confluence Cloud editor:

layout-cloud.png

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Like Corentin Méhat likes this
Susmitha March 4, 2020

But still there is no option to customize the sections like the 'Add Section' button in the below screenshot

Addsection.PNG

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2020

Hi @Susmitha, you actually can add sections by clicking on the "Layout" button:

sections.gif

Chad Anderson April 12, 2020

How do you get to a single section?  It only wants to split into more than one.

Like # people like this
Deleted user June 9, 2020

Is it no longer possible to create a single section that extends across the page??

Like # people like this
Gregory Muir February 15, 2022

It sure seems like that is the case.

0 votes
Ghouse Khaja August 26, 2022

The Add Section option has been retired and no longer available on the cloud version. However, there is a work around. You can create a table and remove 2 colums and 2 rows to make 1 single section and use that. A couple more clicks but gets the job done.

krugerf November 1, 2023

So we are all being forced to move to the cloud and it is missing a whole bunch of functionality. The table solution above is not really that good as we have tables in our sections and cloud does not support nested tables.

0 votes
Priyanka Sogani April 23, 2020

I am experiencing the same issue. Can't create horizontal sections anymore. :(

Daniel Gutierrez May 11, 2020

same here. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events