Power BI fails to connect to Confluence Cloud page with web connector

Paul Craven December 19, 2018

I am trying to gather table information on a Confluence page that I want in Power BI to analyse.

From Power BI, I choose Get Data > Web > paste the Confluence URL, enter the Confluence credentials as basic but then this error shows;

Unable to Connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "The credentials provided cannot be used for the web source....

Is it possible to connect to Confluence Cloud using Power BI Web connector?  There does not seem to be any connectors for Confluence Cloud to Power BI in marketplace.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2018

Hello Paul,

Using Power BI to access data within Confluence is a great idea. However, Confluence will require authentication through the portal to allow for viewing of the contents of pages. This means you won’t be able to connect using a web connector with credentials within Power BI.

Another option would be to access Confluence via the REST API. You can find more about the Confluence REST API within the documentation. There is also a Power BI community post about accessing data from Atlassian products via the API. This example uses Jira, but the method used will be similar for access Confluence. You may find that post at https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Get-data-from-Jira-Rest-API/td-p/516130.

I hope this sheds some light on accessing data within Confluence through Power BI and provides options moving forward. When you able to gain access to the data, please let us know what you did so other may learn from your adventure!

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Paul Craven December 21, 2018

Thanks Stephen, that is a brilliant idea.  We are away now until the 14th Jan.  So will add this to the plan then and let you know.  That's why they pay you the big bucks!  All the best for 2019.

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Helen Jones July 17, 2019

Did you ever get this working?  If so can you update us please

Liz Willis July 25, 2019

No - I have not managed to get this to work

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events