How do smart links work

Arnd Layer May 4, 2023

I like the smart links functionality in the Atlassian Cloud editors. But I'd like to learn more about how they work. 

• Is this proprietary technology or are internet standards used? Are there plans to publish this as an open standard?
  • How can 3rd parties provide smart links? What must a web page contain so that links to the page are recognized as smart links? Is There an API?

As you can see, I'd like this to be an open technology that can be used by everyone. AFAIK this seems not to be the case.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Smart-Links-a-richer-way-to-hyperlink/ba-p/1412786?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=unpaid-social&utm_campaign=P:online*O:community*I:social_share*

2 answers

0 votes
Ilham July 11, 2023

Hi

I have a question please on how to enable Smart links in confluence, is it available out of the box on Entreprise versions?

Thanks

Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 5, 2023

Smartlinks are created by default when paste in a link to a page on Confluence cloud. You do not need to do anything on the admin level.

But if you do not want them to work by default this is a bit of a challenge. Individual users can disable them so URL is the default. It is not possible to disable them on system admin level for all or groups of users.

I know so much about smartlinks as we created an app to bulk edit links from Smartlink to URL and URL to Smartlink, it's called Link Editor by Easy Apps.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but it is proprietary.

And it cannot be extended for now. If Atlassian doesn't support a certain type of link, then it won't work as smart link. I'd expect that at some point they will enable developer to build a Forge app that can implement new smart link types.

Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 5, 2023

We built Link Editor by Easy Apps in Forge.

Almost all links can become smartlinks, clients have found that these two cannot become smartlinks:

• Loom.com
  • IMDB.com 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events