How do I make Confluence templates accessible to non-licensed users with my company's domain email?

MB December 31, 2019

I am currently creating project documents that I want used as templates for department managers within my company.  These are not licensed users but we gain access to the site through their domain email address.  I read that this is an option for the Service Desk but I am not using that product.  Can anyone tell me if this can be done and direct me to how it can be done? 

Happy New Year's Eve!

Many thanks

Mechelle 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2020

Hello Mechelle,

I believe your other question that I responded to is related to this one, but I'll elaborate on the permissions here for you.

Service Desk provides a way for non-licensed users to view articles from a specific space within the Service Desk portal. This is a way of serving knowledge base documents to your customers without having to pay for a license for them, since customer accounts are free within Service Desk.

This does not work outside of Service Desk, and cannot be used with the general functions of Confluence.

It's possible for anonymous users who have been given Add Page permissions to use any of the templates you've set in Confluence, whether as a global template or a space template.

What I believe you might be looking to do is restrict this type of page creation using your templates to only users within your domain. This is not possible, because as far as Confluence is concerned, a user that is not licensed and not logged into Confluence is an anonymous user and does not have any email addresses associated with them. There is no way for Confluence to check what email address is associated with a user unless they can login.

You'll need to either allow anonymous users entirely to create pages in the space, or restrict it to your licensed users, and provide those users with a license.

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you have any questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

MB January 3, 2020

Hi Shannon,

Your response is spot-on for the information of which I was searching.  Thank you for your very generous answer.

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2020

You're very welcome, Mechelle! Happy I could help you. 

Take care, and do let me know if you have any further questions. I'll be happy to help!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events